Skip to main content

New to forum ) with IH 564

More
8 years 7 months ago #162485 by pcp20us
Hi Sarge.

Ta for the info. Yeah looking forward to getting her into action.

Do you recon you can back the axle bearing cap off with the wheel still on, supporting the wheel and axle by jacks to remove the weight, to get enough slack to try and put in new seal or gasket?

We have pumped universal grease in the the axle nipples but did not help can you get heavier grease for this?

I used the recommendation on the castrol site for oil as i could not find any info on this tractor then. So i have CASTROL AGRI MP 20W-40. this is thin than gear diff oil.

No water in the old girl now, drained all fluids and there was water in most oils that came out!

Re the glow plugs, yeah have found that the right plug and voltage is a bit all over the place from what i ve read. The wagga tractor ones use straight 12 v with there setup. Have been using aerostart but man it makes some bad nosies.

Pulling the plugs out today, Have tested it and it gets 12v at the 1st plug then nothing at the others, so i think the wiring has been modified and its blown the snot out of the plugs.

Time to get greased up

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #162486 by pcp20us

PCP... welcome
Loverley Tractor, I have one in my shed, loved and cherrished and abused for 30 years then I stuffed it up (sold it to a bloke 18 months ago... he has forgotten to come get it)

Bloody hell thats odd,

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #162487 by Sarge
PCP, I went and had a try with the bearing cap, no good. I need to replace a wheel bearing and busted bearing cap on my Superloader, it has the same diff. The axle wont move out more than a few mm unless you undo the bolt in the diff centre. I only have 2/3rds of a cap left and it still wont come off.

this is what a dirt covered cap looks like

this is the busted one, its loose so I rolled it over for the photo...
cant get the photo the lay flat B#@%& Boto Phucket

With the bits identified.... you can see why grease should help prevent the leak. I have some super sticky grease, no good in bearings as it binds them up, about the consistency of honey, would probably be good for this... (I use it in a windmill gear box) :-?

you can see I have moved the bearing out of the housing a bit. I dont know if the the wheel hub can be pulled of the Axle end??? As I have to pull the axle out anyway and these loader wheels weigh tonnes by themselves I wont find out. :-/

Diff oil is definitely an old fashioned heavy oil... the new owner of my 564 got the books with the tractor... he took them. >:(

/me

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by Sarge.

More
8 years 7 months ago #162488 by indianman
G'day as far as the glowplugs and adaptors go if the memory is corrcet we used cruiser plugs to suit a !hz ( coz that is what we had at work ) and the adaptors were made out of 3/4" (can't remember if unf or unc) allthread about 1" long with 4 flats ground on one end to be able to screw in .

Jon

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #162489 by pcp20us

PCP, I went and had a try with the bearing cap, no good. I need to replace a wheel bearing and busted bearing cap on my Superloader, it has the same diff. The axle wont move out more than a few mm unless you undo the bolt in the diff centre. I only have 2/3rds of a cap left and it still wont come off.

this is the busted one, its loose so I rolled it over for the photo...
cant get the photo the lay flat B#@%& Boto Phucket

With the bits identified.... you can see why grease should help prevent the leak. I have some super sticky grease, no good in bearings as it binds them up, about the consistency of honey, would probably be good for this... (I use it in a windmill gear box) :-?

you can see I have moved the bearing out of the housing a bit. I dont know if the the wheel hub can be pulled of the Axle end??? As I have to pull the axle out anyway and these loader wheels weigh tonnes by themselves I wont find out. :-/

Diff oil is definitely an old fashioned heavy oil... the new owner of my 564 got the books with the tractor... he took them. >:(
/me

Bloody hell mate, thats not good.How did you break the cap, was it from the weight of the wheel? Thanks for the pixs they are always helpful.

So it looks like the felt washer is under the cap with a seal? so you need to remove the cap to replace the felt washer, thats what i see, is this correct?

May get some heavier grease, I here the yanks use corn grease in stuff, so what grease type no should i get as my grease knowledge is limited.

Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by pcp20us.

More
8 years 7 months ago #162490 by Bluey60
PCP with your axle seals felt seals should takeup
with pumping grease into them but if they have dried
out from sitting you might have to take them out
and either soak them in oil and soften them or if
they are out probably best to replace them not
that easy you will have to undo the bolt in the axle
centre of wheel and slide wheel out on axle not
sure if wheel has to come right off or not but it will be
b#### heavy

Re glow plugs original plugs are connected in series
and if one plug is burnt out none will work
12v with the indicator as a resistor

Sarge from a bloke who fixes windmills GET THAT GREASE OUT and put heavy gear oil in the gears end up
just cutting a groove through the grease and it doesn't
get into the bearings properly

Bluey

More
8 years 7 months ago #162491 by pcp20us
thanks bluey for the info. i was crawling under tractor today. photo of the leaking seal. The bearing cap is all in tact, but it looks like the bottom of the cap is cut out, as you can see in the 1st pix.use grease niple as reference.
It looks a little odd that you can see stuff and it also looks like you can see the felt washer??

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-SNZ5-_bCb-U/VguWOseVtBI/AAAAAAAAFaU/2KusD0xOoT0/w415-h553-no/2015%2B-%2B1

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/3mdYAjEQYF3UyH-8zOWPO5PPovpo4IW5dyVnJdm056mV3RFSJnDSKcB1NLkbLof7yUigSQfGh2qyJGwkj9vbjjyR6eNr23fbUC3aGBWdU23h0LGofdzrumV6yt8NmyWZlvEMxHR-uue6UxUOD2-nTmpnberIzQDiEsdI2PiwltSmqwFHSjFLpuLh5SkNE3Phefu4czUhNSUdyFUjT5Y3U8knjfCrVb0MMynBlEKsYqb5IFNqZMZE0a0rpKlsn1g8bMXfPXbv0ShYWYUF0uKBua9OeZxWdKFNnDvRqWEmHMi1NRq6O431189MPOLwrW0-czyvuYdtiqcg1XXTbm-74F_15z0hYLHefbjlHM_IKGxYkgrJi528mT5mKEZPlDOdTIOPN6D-ju5hrgSY70xG_ovWAbczqP-LP5EChFH_-KP1p0EAgqGyeATC-n1Z3tOS0y8TUi-TBoAWoWGRklIdGGA6vK-05-RJA1D3IpfbZkMgQeorkYeMYMxar-jwHau-nn9XkDRRIYmDHE9PWVZi_rg3Etuf0JBmVfnynRx_3K0=w952-h714-no

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
8 years 7 months ago #162492 by Swishy
The little eye nose

Wiff felt seals

U soak m submerged in 140 diff oil O/Night

then U ready 2 go

the last batch of specially cut trailer wheel seals eye got from

www.jjdavies.com.au/

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
8 years 7 months ago #162493 by Sarge
Bluey60, yep mate, I do the heavy oil or chain oil as well, the mill head has an internal pump and spreads the oil across half an acre, the tower will never rust but might burst into flames on a hot day ;D

PCP, I cant quite make out your picture... the bearing housing should be identical on all four faces except for the nipple. :o

If you can see the felt, you will be able to feel it. The felt should line up directly under the nipple.

/me

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
8 years 7 months ago #162494 by Bluey60
Hi PCP
without going out to the shed in the dark
if my grey matter still works that housing
is right with the piece out of the bottom
must be so dust mud ect drop out and
don't work into the seal

Sarge we'll be in trouble for being off topic but
that's good hate to think your towers getting
protected
How do you know when your windmill is out of oil?

When the oil stops running down the tower

Bluey

Time to create page: 0.502 seconds