Skip to main content

fordson power major brake adjustment

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #188347 by dieseldog
Dexta's were fitted with a Ford engine, not a P3 Perkins. Ford cast the parts and Perkins did the machining and assembly. The P3 didn't suit Fords requirements, so Ford designed the 3.144, which went into the Dexta. After Dexta production ended, the 3.144 design was sold to Perkins, which was then went into the early MF 35, but was then redesigned to become the 3.152, which is still in production today.
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by dieseldog.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #188353 by Mrsmackpaul
Hang on every one
We have all got this ass about if it has power brakes as the title says that would make it a Super Major wouldnt it with inboard oil cooled brakes like the later model 5000
Dunno about them having a Perkins though

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
6 years 6 months ago #188363 by wee-allis
Yes DD, I do stand to be corrected. In my defence I plead old-timers demise. Sometimes we miss the little details.
Steve.

More
6 years 6 months ago #188367 by dieseldog
Paul, there are a few Majors in the series- Major (E27N), New Major (E1A), Power Major and the Super Major. Outboard brakes, like on the Dexta, are at the end of the axle. Major brakes are sort of inboard as they are outside the transmission housing, but run on the differential pinion shaft that drives the bull gears on the end of the axle. Later models like the 5000 have true inboard brakes that run on the axle/final drive. But even then, they were only oil cooled and didn't become hydraulic "power" brakes until much later.

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #188368 by hayseed
Hurry up Scratcha, put these Blokes out of their Misery...LOL

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by hayseed.

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #188384 by PDU
Scratcha I have photos of eight pages relating to the brakes from this manual

However I'm having trouble resizing and getting them into an acceptable format for this forum. :blush:
IF you would like a copy of these pages perhaps you could PM me a mobile number that I could send them too. :unsure:
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by PDU.

More
6 years 6 months ago #188389 by Mrsmackpaul

dieseldog wrote: Paul, there are a few Majors in the series- Major (E27N), New Major (E1A), Power Major and the Super Major. Outboard brakes, like on the Dexta, are at the end of the axle. Major brakes are sort of inboard as they are outside the transmission housing, but run on the differential pinion shaft that drives the bull gears on the end of the axle. Later models like the 5000 have true inboard brakes that run on the axle/final drive. But even then, they were only oil cooled and didn't become hydraulic "power" brakes until much later.

I had a super major and it had proper in board mounted oil cooled disc brakes
And the other main difference to a Major was it had draft control

As I think I have said I dont really know much about these but according to the local Fordson guru the Super Majors were the best of them
Dunno didnt pay much for it at a clearing sale and went like a rocket

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
6 years 5 months ago #188405 by .RC.
I did not even know they fitted brakes to power majors. Like all that old machinery, brakes were optional extras that no one optioned.

More
6 years 5 months ago #189075 by scratcha
Sorry fellas, ive been runnin around like a chook with its head cut off, the old fella's partner of 25 years passed away, I had to gear up and build a shed for the brides 50th, then hay season started!
And the farm is a couple of hours from home.

I hope to get on to the job the weekend after next, I really appreciate the parting of knowledge from you lot, whether fact, fiction or recollection, all is valued.

When I get into it, I will post photos.

1418 Benz now really impressing the bride :-)

Time to create page: 0.457 seconds