Skip to main content

Inertia and other Starters

More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #199182 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Inertia and other Starters
This will put an end to the argument (maybe)

Unfortunately that little movie refers to inertia (potential or kinetic) traveling in a straight line. We are talking about an inertia starter, whether it be a flywheel, as in the Federal truck or unwinding spring as in the lawn mower that is not traveling in a straight line but rotating. Here is the answer:

www.khanacademy.org/science/physics/torq...a/rotational-inertia
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Lang.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago #199183 by allan
Replied by allan on topic Inertia and other Starters
Whoops. Yep. Corrected - I was thinking of the windup spring thingos on the mowers.

More
5 years 1 month ago #199184 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Inertia and other Starters
You could get wind up spring starters for larger engines,that fitted in place of the standard electric starters.......they generally had a stack of bellville springs in them....Simms was one brand I have seen on a Ford diesel,but they are more common on Listers and Petters.......you could also get the aircraft type of inertia starters with an electric motor as well as the hand crank dog.....Made by Bendix /Eclipse Pioneer ..same as the windup ones......Another type of starter were the hydraulic storage type often fitted to GMs ,then there are turbine ones fitted to natural gas engines..

More
5 years 1 month ago #199189 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Inertia and other Starters
When I was flying with the PNG Defence Force we had a DC3 with one engine inertia start and the other direct electric start. You had to think what you were doing. The inertia start was electric wind up but there was also a crank handle for someone to climb up on the wing to wind it up if you had flat batteries - never saw that done.

Lang

More
5 years 1 month ago #199197 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic Inertia and other Starters
And lets not forget the cartridge starters.

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
5 years 1 month ago #199198 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Inertia and other Starters
mack were big in Oz with air start
also
Cat had pony / pilot motor start
and sum ol rope machine excavators/draglines etc had motor driven air pump/ compressor to build up air for air start to the main donk
others can relate to kik start
LOL
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
5 years 1 month ago #199432 by paulc20
Replied by paulc20 on topic Inertia and other Starters
This is an inertia starter I picked up to fit to an Alfa Romeo 1624 engine for an Ansaldo TCA70. It seems to be working ok, it has a train of gears to drive the inertia mass from the hand crank and a clutch that engages after the pinion is placed into mesh. The plate on the tractor say to crank the handle to between 60 and 80 RPM. After my recent back surgery, I am planning to use a 12V motor to spin the starter up to speed.

Does anybody have a manual or info on the starter?

Paul
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang

More
5 years 1 month ago #199433 by JOHN.K.
A big electric drill is the way to power these kinds of things.....lot simpler than fitting a motor.

More
5 years 1 month ago #199453 by paulc20
Replied by paulc20 on topic Inertia and other Starters
I was thinking along the lines you are suggesting, John, I have an old Black and Decker 3/4" drill, just need to to hook up a speed controller so I can start slow, then ramp it up.
Paul

More
5 years 1 month ago #199455 by JOHN.K.
The Bendix /Pioneer starters with an aux electric drive didnt drive the hand crank with the electrics,but drove the flywheel at a much different ratio............I would think you would be better off just using a straight electric starter..................the mounting seems to be for a common 5" axial with the standard pinion........plenty of brands fit CAV,Bosch ,Fiat Rabotti,Scintilla,PAL,

Time to create page: 0.587 seconds