Skip to main content

Asphalt/bitumen roller

More
4 years 4 months ago #204879 by Roderick Smith
AFAIK it's been years since asphalt was used (a natural product); it's all bitumen. From my primary years, where the school paving was asphalt, I remember it softening and coming up in clumps in Melbourne heat. There were famous incidents in the late 1950s and early 1960s where women wearing stiletto heels would become bogged to the axles and trapped.
I was intending to post just the machine, but the technology is just as interesting.
During an open day at Melbourne's ice-skating rink (Docklands), the design engineer explained how the ice surface was smoothed each night to provide the perfect conditions for sport next day.
Roderick

191106W Melbourne 'Herald Sun' - Asphalt FX

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 months ago #204880 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Asphalt/bitumen roller
I know the country is in drought but the photo looks more like Alice Springs than Melbourne.

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #204909 by Oilman
Replied by Oilman on topic Asphalt/bitumen roller

Roderick Smith wrote: AFAIK it's been years since asphalt was used (a natural product); it's all bitumen.

In Australia, generally considered that BITUMEN is the petroleum based 'by product' from refining and is not laid with a roller. It is blended with aggregate, sand, lime etc to produce ASPHALT (hotmix) which is then laid and rolled. BITUMEN can be sprayed and then covered with aggregate (spray or chip seal).

1975 Atkinson, 180HP 6LXB Gardner, RTO910, 34000lb Rockwell on camelback
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Oilman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge

More
4 years 4 months ago #204911 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Asphalt/bitumen roller
I don't know the technical terms. Mayby have always been interchangeable. A while ago, I read a book of short stories by one of the early Australian writer/poets. In it was a story told to the author by an oldtimer, lamenting the sealing of roads with "Bitch-er-man."
He said that "They were not REAL roads any more.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
4 years 4 months ago #204913 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Asphalt/bitumen roller
Bitumen is like chewing gum at normal temps,drum bitumen is cut with either kerosine or made in a water emulsion.....if you arent careful spraying the emulsion you get water pockets in it.Bruce Dickson bought some old trailer tanks off Bitupave ,and left the valve on one open.....didnt look like anything was coming out,so he never shut it off......two years later he discovered his whole paddock covered in sticky black under then grass......didnt seem to damage the grass.,and in winter it was solid....not so much in summer.......talk about sticky,and one of the horses fell over in it.Horse owner next door wasnt impressed.

More
4 years 4 months ago #204914 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Asphalt/bitumen roller
He also got Leyland with a tank on it ,and he wanted to use the tank ....truck still had the gas burner setup ,so we got some gas ,and got it going....plenty of heat into the tank..trouble was the furnace inside the tank had a leak ,and when the bitumen got hot and fluid ,it leaked thru into the furnace....plenty of black smoke and flames 100 ft high..Leyland got burnt out,fire brigade came ,more bitumen spilled on the ground....long time ago,in a land far away...Willawong....Islami s own the yard now,wonder if they know how much is buried there.

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #204918 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Asphalt/bitumen roller
Having that mess on the ground would only make them feel at home and think they had struck crude oil and be rich.
I spent a couple of years while in road construction laying hotmix and sealing areas with gravel and bitumen. I was good in the winter you were kept warm by the hotmix, a bugga in the summer.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by cobbadog.
The following user(s) said Thank You: roKWiz

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #204924 by roKWiz
Replied by roKWiz on topic Asphalt/bitumen roller
As one of my two fill in jobs after my apprenticeship, I worked on a hotmix gang doing road reconstruction jobs around Sydney.

Bitumen/ Apshaplt is Hotmix, Usually laid to a depth of 6 inches while spray sealing is emoleum laid over an existing surface with the gravel spread evenly and rolled into it.
I was the plant operator (Bomac 2 wheel roller) in the gang of 8. We did all the work shovelling out of the back of a Ford Cargo, we did rather large projects but not big enough to use a automated machine which seems to have trouble laying flat up against concrete bridges which we could achieve without a problem by hand laying and me rolling flush.

Next time you approach a bridge in your truck thank the automated machinery for making it a rough bounce.

Never thought there was much to it until the first time you drive the roller onto freshly laid Hotmix and trying to judge the sink rate of the machine over the surface. Head ganger would spread the mix a lot higher than the finished product to get it right.

Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by roKWiz.

More
4 years 4 months ago #204925 by xspanrman
Replied by xspanrman on topic Asphalt/bitumen roller
Allen Bros machinery on display at Campbelltown Steam Museum 2019
Attachments:

More
4 years 4 months ago #204933 by allan
Replied by allan on topic Asphalt/bitumen roller
Love the streamlining of the guards and bonnet. That'd be good for an extra 1 mph!

Time to create page: 0.560 seconds