Skip to main content

Some days you win

More
2 years 1 day ago #233146 by PaulFH
Replied by PaulFH on topic Some days you win
Second week of our collection Cob.
One van been down our street many times.
Petrol can’t be too expensive!
Some gear gets swapped, we’ve gained a mower catcher. Kids break the glass.
Annual circus! Have fun, Paul.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 day ago #233147 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Some days you win
You blokes are lucky to still have an annual Council cleanup. Most of the Councils around here have gone to a system whereby you have to get a permit from them for one pickup per year and they give you a sticker to put on your rubbish stating that it is an authorised pickup. Some Councils even charge you for the "privilege" even though it greatly reduces the amount they have to collect. A few years ago, my Daughter obtained a permit and put out things. Scroungers took some of it and left the remainder in an untidy mess. Other neighbours added more to the pile than she and her partner had put out.
By the way, I doubt you would be put to death for taking things that had been put on the roadside for collection. When there was an annual collection, Councils prohibited taking anything because they sold the rights to collect it all to the highest bidder who sold metal and any other recyclables. That prohibition did not stop me and many others from collecting what we wanted.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
2 years 1 day ago #233151 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic Some days you win
Some Council dumping laws are so stupid.
Our gang decided to charge hugely for any trips to the dump, we’re talking $175 per ton for half a trailer of broken concrete. Local landscaper puts it through his machine and sells it for a fraction of that.
So the country roads became dumping grounds for everything, mattresses , fridges, old cars, tyres etc.
I’d ring Council and they’d send out a crew with truck, pick it up and off to their dump.
Costing would have been through the roof.
As for green waste, that’s another hilariously expensive saga.

More
2 years 23 hours ago #233159 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Some days you win
Our Council have tip fees for everything. Green waste, they charge you if you take it to the tip, BUT, after they mulch it and compost it, they give it away, even loading it for free. Must make sense to someone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
1 year 11 months ago #233193 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Some days you win
Lang, should that be Martial Law? same pronunciation, different spelling and meaning.

Wee-allis our tip charges a small fortune to take green waste (except for six weeks at the start of the bushfire season) and charges $5 per trailer load (or did when I bought it some years ago) when selling the chipped up stuff. I bought a load but there was so much rubbish, weed seeds and kindling-sized sticks in it, I have never bought it again. I believe it is better value to buy good clean mulch from a garden supplier.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
1 year 11 months ago #233197 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Some days you win
Morris

Absolutely right I will apologise the Mrs Grantham my English teacher in my prayers tonight. Martial from Mars the God of War hence military application. Marshall comes from the old French as a lover of or worker with of horses eg John Wayne.

Lang

Time to create page: 0.479 seconds