Skip to main content

Mccormick Deering T20 TracTractor

More
1 year 9 months ago #237750 by cobbadog
For posting videos I upload them to my YouTube account then copy the link to forums.
Bloody ripper of a tractor. Working clothes is the best way to go on that one.
All sorts of oils do the job to lift and protect the finish even the engine guys use Linseed and turps mixed 50/50 for a lasting look.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 9 months ago #237754 by wouldyou
Hello Jason,
That is a nice tractor, wide gauge is it? Standard shoes were 10 inch. I have a lubrication chart for a W30 wheel tractor, same design motor just larger. Can copy if you need it.
Have spent a lot of time with a T20, photo about 1948.
Cheers, David.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge, hayseed, 180wannabe, cobbadog, Inter-Action, PaulFH, Tacho

More
1 year 9 months ago #237756 by KMR XT5
Hi David,

It may be the wide gauge, the grousers measure at 12 inches wide, I got a spare set of track frames and tracks with the tractor, the spare tracks have very little wear apart from the grouser bolts are very corroded, which is no big deal, those plates are the 10 inch wide ones.
The spare track frames are in poor condition, based on my initial checks of the running gear, it is in very good condition, but handy to have spares.
I would very much appreciate the lube chart.
From the very little trundle around I've had of the tractor, it seems to run perfectly, no clunks or bangs and does everything it should and appears to be a very easy tractor to operate.
I've sent through a couple of short videos to admin showing initial start and operating the tractor for them to post, as I couldn't get them to attach to my post.
I would certainly appreciate any operational and maintenance tips you have and any week points or things to look out for.

Cheers Jason
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH

More
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #237758 by wouldyou
Hello Jason,It was a reliable little tractor, The mag re new, sludge was loosened resulting in the oil feeder holes to the big end dipper troughs blocking. Surely your tractor would have been used in later years than then.If these pages are too faint to read I could email them.David

Jason , Pics over my story but will leave as is.

Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by hayseed. Reason: removed Pics from inside text..
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH

More
1 year 9 months ago #237768 by Gryphon
Hi,

for your viewing pleasure

and

Terry
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, 180wannabe, cobbadog, wouldyou, Inter-Action, PaulFH, asw120, V8Ian

More
1 year 9 months ago #237769 by mammoth
Good point from Wouldyou - back in the day engine oil left sludge in the engine (in oil galleries, the sump, under the rocker cover etc etc) which lay dormant until the next rebuild or use of flushing oil. Modern engine oils are 'detergent' meaning that all the nasties are kept soluble and moving until removed by the oil filter. Should you have a build up of sludge the use of modern oil will disperse it from it's slumber and cause trouble. Easiest way to get peace of mind is to drop the sump and make an assessment on what you find.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Morris

More
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #237770 by KMR XT5
Yes, good point, I had planned on giving it an oil change, fortunately there are 2 large round plates on the left side of the block that when removed expose the crank and rods, I think I can get my hand in there and feel around for sludge etc.
Picture of rocker gear shows it to be nice and clean, I do suspect the head has been off at some stage.
I'm trying to trace the tractors history, it's a very strange one being in such remarkable condition for its age.

Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by hayseed. Reason: Inserted Pics.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Inter-Action, PaulFH

More
1 year 9 months ago #237771 by cobbadog
That is spotless inside there. I have not seen oiler wicks on an overhead engine before, make sure they contact the rockers, I guess.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
1 year 9 months ago #237772 by hayseed
Wouldyou, is that You sitting on the; HST..??

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #237774 by wouldyou
Yes hayseed it’s me on a Sunshine AL harvester, the only comfort concession a bag on the seat. I had ropes to the two steering clutches and one to the right brake for the corners, would get moving on the tractor, jump off and get on harvester. There was a step bolted from the drawbar to behind the left track enabling me to get back on tractor and drive to the wheat dump and stop. Could also stop by pulling both steering levers back.
David.
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by wouldyou.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hayseed, 180wannabe, PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.526 seconds