Skip to main content

V10 MTU

More
14 years 2 months ago #23391 by Jake Brake
V10 MTU was created by Jake Brake
Hi all, this morning I was heading down to Melbourne and decided to stop at Wallan for breakfast and amongst the other trucks at the truck stop was a semi loaded with about 6 MTU V10 diesel engines that had come out of army tanks.
I asked the driver where he was heading with his load and I was surprised when he said I'm off to SIMS Metal! :(
Cheers Ray

White the greatest name in trucks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 2 months ago #23392 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: V10 MTU

JakeBrake
GuddayM8

Gr8 Pix
Keep m Cummin

RE:MTU V10 diesel engines

Sum time ago the army anounced they were give n away FREE the Leopard tanks after they were decommisioned
Decommission n included removal of engines, armory n locking the turrent
wot ever
LOL
Silly me put me name down for a freeby
but aint heard back from m
me thinks they were earmarked for the RSL clubs
but I'm able to load n transport the ded tanks

UDontGetNutnUnlessUAsk

Read all about it right here

LOL

Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
14 years 2 months ago #23393 by PhilD
Replied by PhilD on topic Re: V10 MTU
How sad is that !
To dump them.
No it's STUPID !

Want to be in the shed covered in grease and muck - want a Rum ?

More
14 years 2 months ago #23394 by GM Diesel
Replied by GM Diesel on topic Re: V10 MTU
Detroits in Perth binned a couple of dozen 16V-149 engines just recently.....not happy Jan

Basil

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

More
14 years 5 days ago - 14 years 5 days ago #23395 by ray
Replied by ray on topic Re: V10 MTU
Now for something completely over the top. I have been approaching the Department of Defence about the MTU V10s from the Leopard tanks, with the aim of getting one for a static display. They did get back to me today and informed me that nobody can have one as the engine gaskets may contain asbestos and therefore the complete powerpacks are being incinerated. What a waste. Our taxes at work. But I haven't given up yet!!
Last edit: 14 years 5 days ago by ray.

More
14 years 3 days ago #23396 by PhilD
OK so anyone know anyone in the metal recycling game who could put in a nice high tender to dispose of these engines.
Of course guaranteeing to remove the aspestos gaskets under controlled conditions before "disposing" of the engines.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 3 days ago #23397 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: V10 MTU

I'd B guessin here
th@ they dont want any of these motors 'out there'
they R usein the xcuse 'Asbestos' as an out
me thinks they never wanna C a Oz Lepard tank run amuck like we all seen on TV news
so 2 take no chances they decomisionin the leopards so they can not B used or repowered

Latest I seen to cut down delivery costs to the RSL they B drive n m on the Rd n when in place they may decommision n m there

Jist my 2 cents worth of Dribble
LOL
Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

14 years 2 days ago #23398 by
Replied by on topic Re: V10 MTU
PhilD - I'd be taking an educated guess here .. but if the Defence Dept has made a decision that these engines HAVE to be scrapped .. they'll pay to put an inspector at Sims or wherever they end up, to ENSURE that the engines are totally destroyed.

I used to see this at the Malaga Landfill when I worked there for a short period, when I desperately needed some cash (no-one would work in a landfill if they had half a brain, and didn't need money .. :D ) .. and there would be trucks come in with some good gear (often new) on board.

Customs were one example. If Customs had decided an import was illegal, no matter what it was .. it got crunched up and buried, right in front of the eyes of a watchful Customs inspector. We buried some amazing stuff.

More
14 years 2 days ago #23399 by PhilD
Yes true OneTrack
That is if their intention is they be destroyed.
But they are using the Excuse of the asbestos so to call their bluff we offer to remove the asbestos and offer a bit more than scrap value for the right to do it.
Then if their reason Really Was the asbestos they Must accept the offer or explain why not accept the most ecologically sensible offer.
Or else they have to think up some other excuse to scrap them.
Or give their real reason :)

14 years 2 days ago #23400 by
Replied by on topic Re: V10 MTU
PhilD - When dealing with Govt Depts, reason goes out the window. If some pen-pushing little Hitler has decided that they HAVE to be destroyed under the supervision of an inspector .. you could argue until you're blue in the face .. make all the representations at the highest levels in the world .. and they will still crunch them up.

The only excuse they need .. is that, if the engines continue to exist in any useable form, after the tanks have been scrapped .. there will still be a chance that some Islamic nutter will refit the engine to a tank hull, and resurrect it .. and then launch an attack on Parliament House in Canberra (could be a good thing, anyway .. ;D ;D ;D ).
They will tell you they can't take that chance. You know it's a BS argument .. we all know it's a BS argument .. but you will get nowhere trying to argue the toss.

The Americans have set the trend .. and we follow. I've bought ex-US Military stuff such as engines and forklifts .. and in every case, I had to sign an end-user agreement .. enforceable by American courts in any country of the world .. that I am guaranteeing that the item will not be used in any military capacity .. and that it will not pass from my hands or ownership, without notifying the US Military.
Of course, I've on-sold nearly all the US Military stuff I bought, without tellin' 'em .. so now, I'm waiting for them to come and get me .. for selling forklifts to Islamic militants .. such as my brother .. who bought the Cat forklift off me, that I got off the US Navy .. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Time to create page: 0.486 seconds