Skip to main content

Lister CD 8HP named Ray

More
1 year 4 months ago #242266 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Lister CD 8HP named Ray
Today was an easy day cleaning up the 2 long (26.5" long) head studs and using lock nuts and Loctite put them firmly back in place. I am yet to start cleaning out the water jackets that look bad but have seen worse.

During some cleaning up I remembered to have a look for the timing marks on the flywheel. I found them both, TDC and Spill Timing. Then I marked them using a silver oil pen to see them better then realised that once the radiator is back on you will not see them at all. So I used a set square and transferred them to the outside edge and used a cold chisel to imitate the same marks.
​​​​

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Inter-Action, oliver1950

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 4 months ago #242268 by cobbadog
Well I got good news and bad news about parts supply. I can get ring sets once I confirm the accurate sizes which I have done. 3/16" for both top compression and oil rings and 1/8" for the middle compression rings. No gasket sets available now even though they are on the website. Unsure about the big end bearing shells.
So I have put the conrod back into the piston after checking it is straight and not bent using a dial indicator gauge. It certainly helped with those tiny chamfers on the end of the gudgeon pin. Pin is secure in the piston and piston rocks on the pin. Started cleaning up some of the outside cover plates. Will look at the head tomorrow and may even drop the valves and lap them in. Also need to start on cleaning up the rust in the water jackets soon.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Inter-Action, asw120

More
1 year 4 months ago #242278 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Lister CD 8HP named Ray
Wow, that is a lot of work for a little stationery engine. Thank goodness it has only one cylinder. You may have to be sitting down when you get the bill for the parts and hide it from Cobbarette as well.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
1 year 4 months ago #242283 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Lister CD 8HP named Ray
So I still dunno whats caused these problems or Im not reading the posts right

The piston is about right and the bores about right

Did the bearing in gudgon pin end of the rod turn a bit and stop full oil flow ?
Some how the it appears the piston has been get stuck on the conrod and this is causing the marks on each side of the bore?

I dunno, maybe Im missing the cause

I have had a few CS listers and I think from what I see these are based on a lot of similar parts

The oil pressure was really aggressive on those, as in squirt squirt, zero to 50 psi type of deal and if the tap was left open on the pressure guage the guage wouldn't last very long
I seem to recall reading yours was pretty smooth pressure, would be good if you know of some one with a good runner that has a guage on it to compare

Anyway, very interesting

Fiat crawlers of many years ago had head studs that went all the way to the bottom of the block, maybe 18 inches long, most broke off down the bottom and they were only good for scrap then, unlike a Lister that last forever

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
1 year 4 months ago #242291 by cobbadog
Parts are not bad in price but he has to have stock before I buy. A full ring set is $33.00 including GST. A full gasket kist if it was available is $55.00 including GST. Not heard about the big end but not concerned either.
So far it is not too clear what has caused it to seize. Piston was and is free to pivot on the small end and no sideways play. Piston to bore is so close to 0.010" clearance it doesn't matter. No real nasty marks on the crankshaft journal or the big end bearing other than those 2 dark stripes but the bearing surface is smooth all the way across.
Now the only thing that has stood out to me after the cleaning of the psiton was that oil ring, it is too narrow for th ring land/groove. It measures 1/8" and should be 3/16". Plus the rings are showing a little bit of wear in the depth of them. They should be 0.015" deep and only the top compression ring measures that and the others vary around them so maybe it is mainly a ring problem.

More
1 year 4 months ago #242295 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Lister CD 8HP named Ray
I've got another Dumb Question for you Cobbadog..:blink:

Is the LeakOff/Return Line from the Injector back to the Fuel tank Blocked..??

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
1 year 4 months ago #242307 by cobbadog
These low tech engines don't have a return line only a singke line from the rack/pump to the injector. Have a look at the injector in the head, only one line. Thanks for more input though.

More
1 year 4 months ago #242313 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Lister CD 8HP named Ray
Cobbadog,
Those prices are amazingly cheap. Recently I paid $600.00 to have the head for my truck shaved and new exhaust valves fitted and now have the head of my ute at the same place for the same plus valve seat inserts. I have never seen exhaust valves recessed so badly. Now I believe all those stories about the damage unleaded petrol does to old engines.

I suspect that the wear marks in the big end bearing were ignored by the person who fitted the too-narrow ring, so I think once you have fitted correct rings, you should ignore the marks as well.

I wish you both (and anyone else reading this) a happy New Year.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
1 year 4 months ago #242314 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Lister CD 8HP named Ray

These low tech engines don't have a return line only a singke line from the rack/pump to the injector. Have a look at the injector in the head, only one line. Thanks for more input though.

OK, I'll get back in my Box...:(

Whilst everything shows Wear, I can't see why It'd Locked after few Minutes running Cold & NO load ... Be different If It was Hot, & fully loaded up..

I'm curious to know the cause..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
1 year 4 months ago #242315 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Lister CD 8HP named Ray
My 2 cents worth (Tax Free)