Skip to main content

Lister CD 8HP named Ray

More
1 year 4 months ago #242510 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Lister CD 8HP named Ray
Didn't one of our regular contributors on here talk about using silicon to renovate a dubious head gasket..... in place of the silva frost.... or have I been sitting in the sun too long again...

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 4 months ago #242511 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Lister CD 8HP named Ray
I went out the shed and have got a couple of bags of washing soda that I use in the electrolysis bath.

I started repairing the radiator bracket yesterday by scrapping it all clean the used a centre punch to make lots of dots in the metal for the plastic metal to bond to. This morning I filed it back for a smooth finish. I made all new gaskets today as well ready for assembly. I will be able to fit the radiator bracket on as well as the other side cover onto the cylinder then I can put some caustic soda in the water jackets to start the clean up inside.

First pic is the centre punch marks, then the plastic metal cut off the length and ready now to knead it together, This is what it looks like after being pushed into the centre punch marks then after smoothing off.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Inter-Action, Lang, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, asw120, oliver1950

More
1 year 4 months ago #242516 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic Lister CD 8HP named Ray
What's taking so long Cobba? Too busy entertaining itinerant truckies? ;)
Looks good so far.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
1 year 4 months ago #242517 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Lister CD 8HP named Ray
Bet you had blisters on your left fingers after 2,000 centre-punch hits.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, V8Ian

More
1 year 4 months ago #242520 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Lister CD 8HP named Ray
My time has been taken up doing plumbing jobs around home. You know how things come in 3's. First was an ongoing leaky cold tap. I bought a quality metal cutter to re-seat the tap body and it works a real treat and looked good when I did it about a month ago. Then it started dripping again. So because we rarely used the hot tap in this vanity basin I took them both out to check the seats again and to swap the bodies around. Well thats when I noticed some bad low points in the seat of the cold tap body. The mongrel b@st@rd of a thing had an air bubble in it so I cut deeper. 2 new washers just because I have them and went upside down to fit them back. Next was the cistern on the bathroom dunny had a drip onto the floor. Checked it out and it was coming from where the water enters the cistern. Bought new seals for the complete unit and was fine for a few days and it started leaking again. So I thought new cistern and flexible hose and the job is done. So that was #2 leak fixed. "Next Dee mentioned how the flick mixer at the sink dribbles a little bit out of the top where the handle rotates. I know by looking at it that it was an el cheapo so a better one was bought and fitted. I spent more time arse up lately and resting my ribs on cupboard shelves and perfecting the Aussie Lingo of cussing it out. Ribs are still sore but there are no leaks at last and a last minute notification just noew is Dee is all very happy and no flamming leaks.
So tomorrow if I can get to Ray in between showers if they are going to happen again I will fit the 2 side covers and mix up the washing soda and let it sit a while. I also spent time making all the necessary gaskets for the other parts. I think I got them all done. Not to wory, I still have plenty of paper to make more if needed.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe

More
1 year 4 months ago #242524 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Lister CD 8HP named Ray
I replaced all the tap washers with some special plastic and stainless steel ones ......council decided to dig up the road and fill the water mains with sand .....ruined all my new plastic seats in a few days.

More
1 year 4 months ago #242526 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Lister CD 8HP named Ray

caustic soda and wsshing soda are totally different chemicals

Yep, I think they are different. They are both alkaline but I would be very careful about the concentration if I used caustic. Next time I go to a supermarket, I will look at a packet of washing soda and see what soda it is. Morris.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
1 year 4 months ago #242527 by Morris
John.K.
Was it the Council or your Water Authority? (possibly your council is responsible for water) Wife and I used to run a motel and did all our own washing. One day Westernport Water added a chemical to the water supply without telling anyone. I complained in writing and they sent us a packet of NappySan to remove stains from sheets. (it worked!)
Some months later, they advised everyone the date that they would be pressure washing the mains and to run the water until it was clear before washing any sheets or clothing. The problem was, they started the work the day before the date they advertised. I wrote, detailing the cost to replace all the sheets and towels that were stained that day. They did not respond until I sent them another copy of the letter saying that if they did not pay within another seven days I would take them to the Small Claims Tribunal and add my time at the basic wage rate for the time I spent at the Tribunal plus the two hours or so travelling each way to the City. They paid up. We sold the motel eight years ago and are still using the towels they paid for.

I'm gritting my teeth,

More
1 year 4 months ago #242536 by Gryphon
Replied by Gryphon on topic Lister CD 8HP named Ray

caustic soda and wsshing soda are totally different chemicals

Yep, I think they are different. They are both alkaline but I would be very careful about the concentration if I used caustic. Next time I go to a supermarket, I will look at a packet of washing soda and see what soda it is. Morris.

Washing Soda is Sodium Carbonate, meliorameansbetter.com/blogs/news/168791...meet-your-ingredient

Terry

More
1 year 4 months ago #242544 by Morris
Thanks, Terry
That saves me looking when at the stupidmarket.
As I said, I would be very careful about how much to put in if I was using Caustic Soda.

I'm gritting my teeth,

Time to create page: 0.638 seconds