Skip to main content

Lister CD 8HP named Ray

More
1 year 3 months ago #242792 by wouldyou
Replied by wouldyou on topic Lister CD 8HP named Ray
Hello Cobba,
That latch holding the rack from opening fully could be a cold start function.
David.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, asw120

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 3 months ago #242794 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Lister CD 8HP named Ray
for sure...extra rack travel is a cold start.........a lot of these motors wont start without extra fuel............the motor in my dumpy is getting a bit sick from running on oil and needs extra fuel to start ....probably the valves are all gummed up.......The Chamberlain is running on oil too,but Im careful to only run flat out ,never let it idle .
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog

More
1 year 3 months ago #242800 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Lister CD 8HP named Ray
Tjhe latch position is around half throttle and not full or for extra fuel. I will put my friction tacho on the crank shaft to see what rpm it actually is. Because the rings are still new when Ray is on full throttle he smokes up black similar to that first initial start up and tends to settle the smoke only a little bit. Early days for him and just glad that he runs again and has done a start up on the crank handle too.
My dumpy has a SR2 Lister and it has the cold start position at the pump but fortunately I have not had to use it as yet. As a side note these engines like Ray are know as 'cold start' engines. Previously I could start him on full throttle or that latch, either way worked.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
1 year 3 months ago #242804 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Lister CD 8HP named Ray
Hi John, that gravity toggle thingy is indeed for cold start, if it's the same as a CS.
Also, I realise it's not a CS, but I believe it's running WAY too fast.
All the same, congratulations.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
1 year 3 months ago #242813 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Lister CD 8HP named Ray
You've got a result Cobba, gotta be happy about that

Oil is to seal the rings against the bore, if a diesel wont start but smokes lack of compression is generally the issue
This is even more prone on engines that never run under heavy load for most of their life
They tend to glaze up or something along those lines

Not to worry you got there in the end

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
1 year 3 months ago #242815 by Inter-Action
Yep. The toggle on the pump rack does assist with cold starting. Where the CS differs from other diesels is the valve that closes off
a small , secondary combustion chamber. Screwing closed for starting raises the compression and easier starting. Once warmed
up the valve is opened up, opening up the small chamber, which lowers the over all compression . That contributes to the longevity
of these engines. As i understand it that is where the "CS" ( Cold Start), stems from. Hope the photo will help explain my description.
The valve is the large valve located on the back of the head. I agree Ray is running way to fast. Maybe the rack is sticking?
Not the best of photos. I will try and send a better one for later.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH

More
1 year 3 months ago #242818 by Inter-Action
Found a diagram which is a bit clearer description of the Change Over Valve on the CS Listers.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH, oliver1950

More
1 year 3 months ago #242841 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Lister CD 8HP named Ray
I will use my friction drive tacho next time I have him running to see what rpm he is doing. Ray has a decompression lever and not that large screw valve but the lever does exactly the same thing. Manual says to start and run with the lever down if not under load. You can see the lever and the forked bracket that connects to the valve posted on the 16/1/23 post #242724.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe

More
1 year 3 months ago #242845 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic Lister CD 8HP named Ray
Oh wonderful. Celebrations all round. :cheer:

Fast or slow Ray seems to be excelling with your efforts cobbadog and stuff the mozzies!

With your preference re names I can only add hooray. :woohoo:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Time to create page: 0.500 seconds