Skip to main content

Lister CD 8HP named Ray

More
1 year 4 months ago #242545 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Lister CD 8HP named Ray
Today I fitted up the side plate and bottom radiator bracket. Then I filled the water jacket with washing soda to help clean out the final dirt and crap. While that was happening I got out my home made vacuum and cleaned up the bottom of the sump. First I drained the remaining oil from the sump then threw some diesel in the sump but it was disappearing so I kept throwing more in until I could see it there. It was then I could see that there is a mesh bolted to the cylinder but just above the bottom of the sump. So I brushed it with a stiff brush then drained that out. The mesh is now somewhat cleaner now but still had some rubbish sitting on top so I took my vacuum cleaner to it and now is good. This mesh is held in place with at least 3 1/4" BSW bolts and although I can just touch them I would not be able to undo them never mind putting them back in place so it will stay as it is.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Morris, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, oliver1950

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 4 months ago #242556 by cobbadog
Ring set arrived late today. Next time I have to gap them then go forward from there.

More
1 year 4 months ago #242591 by cobbadog
This is the best shot I can get of the wire mesh in the sump that sits above the dual oil pumps. Started gaping the rings today but working around doctors appointments today, tomorrow and Friday.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH

More
1 year 4 months ago #242594 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Lister CD 8HP named Ray
If that mesh blocked up would the oil pump end up getting starved of oil??

More
1 year 4 months ago #242595 by cobbadog
Yes, if it did get blocked completely it could starve the engine for oil. But what was in there was not too bad and not bad enough to restrict the flow to the pumps. I am fairly confident that the main issue was the cylinder blocked with mud on one side. I know that these new rings are tough buggers. I started gapping them today and I use the angle grinder with the 1mm cutting blade and rub the ring on the back or front of the disc. It is a slow job because I'm not putting a lot of presure on it but slowly getting closer to the first one being right.
Had some visitors just as I was getting into it so left it at that once they had gone. Still more visits to the doctors tomorrow and Friday so better stay a bit clean to see them.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Mrsmackpaul

More
1 year 4 months ago #242655 by cobbadog
Today got the rings gaped and fitted to the piston. Had a bit of fun cleaning the ring grooves, they looked really good but the oil groove because of the narrow ring being fitted previously was still holding some carbon. I got it all out in the end so I took the time to do the other 3 grooves as well. Next will be fitting the piston and begin the journey of assembly. Can only do a bit at a time mainly because I have other jobs around the place to do as well. A small step at a time is better than none.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Morris, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

More
1 year 4 months ago #242672 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic Lister CD 8HP named Ray
Even the longest journey begins with the first step, Cobba. Keep plugging away and before you realise, it's done.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
1 year 4 months ago #242673 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Lister CD 8HP named Ray
Come on Cobba, remember when you planned to have so much more time to do these jobs once you retired? Welcome to the real world of retirement old mate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, V8Ian

More
1 year 4 months ago #242688 by cobbadog
I want this finished and a small job on a milling machine to get done before we go back on the road again for 6 - 8 weeks, unsure of time as yet.

More
1 year 4 months ago #242704 by cobbadog
Got all the bottom end sorted nd sealed up with covers, fuel pump and oil tank on. Pics tomorrow along with the finer details of life with Ray.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH, V8Ian

Time to create page: 0.579 seconds