Skip to main content

David Brown 2D

More
6 months 3 weeks ago - 6 months 3 weeks ago #248522 by oliver1950
David Brown 2D was created by oliver1950
This is another strange tractor from a more famous maker that few have seen or heard of. This would have been a far more common tractor but for a major design fault. Unlike the Newman these tractors are very collectable, the last one I saw sold on Ebay about 5 years ago sold for just over $18000

Powered by David Brown twin cylinder VAD/12 and VAD/12V direct injection diesel light alloy motor
Displacement 77ci /1.3 litre. 14.1hp /10.5kw at 1800 rpm
12volt electrics ,starter motor,generator or an impulse stater was an option
An air compressor is mounted to the gearbox,the tubular frame is an air receiver/reservoir and the 2 rams to raise and lower the toolbar pneumatically 
This motor was the cause production ceased with just over 2000 built, approximately half that number sill exist today. So many were returned to the dealers under warranty for engine repairs/replacement that production was halted.This motor ran like the old John Deere  Johnny Poppers,2 pistons firing together but unlike the John Deere 2 cylinders these had a "dead " balance piston. When starting this motor if the oil pressure was not up and the decompression lever engaged the dead piston would catch in its sleeve and tear the light alloy motor apart.To start this tractor you stand behind the motor ,lift the decompression lever with your left hand and engage the starter button with your right hand but the oil pressure gauge is out of sight on the engine cowl behind the drivers seat.

This one is mine on my trailer behind my historic plated HJ61 Landcruiser about to head to a rally.

You can't have too many toys!
Last edit: 6 months 3 weeks ago by oliver1950. Reason: Forgot the mention the pneumatic rams
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, wouldyou, eerfree, Lang, Mrsmackpaul, Normanby, overlander, PaulFH, asw120 and 2 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.394 seconds