Skip to main content

Vintage Lawn Mower Restorations

More
2 months 3 weeks ago - 2 months 3 weeks ago #250492 by cobbadog

Well after Oliver1950 bought back fond memories of doing my deck repair my ride on repair some time ago. Now in guilt I have a smal one to weld up. This is Big Bob 4 a rear mower here being a mongrel 4 stroke. Although Bob runs well his biggest asset is the 21" cut n larger wheels for ease of pushing. I have the sales receipt of this mower from when the original owner bought it new in 1986.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
Last edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by cobbadog.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #250493 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic Vintage Lawn Mower Restorations
Heavens to Murgatroyd, don't you guys know when to stop?

Mind you seeing that engine I could supply an upgrade for you, more power to the push, or at least to the cut . . . 

This one came from a seized auxiliary water pump, bought at a deceased estate clearance sale. Once the calcified aluminium lump, err pump that is, was removed I clamped it in my vice, exactly as you see it here, and spent some time reinvigorating the engine.. Ran nicely, and I considered hooking it up to an old belt drive lathe, but then it was duly shoved into the storage heap of surplus priceless gems.

Anyone desperate for one if cobbadog doesn't need a 20% power increase? 
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, wee-allis

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #250500 by asw120
I think the horizontal shaft could introduce some complexity......

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, wee-allis

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #250502 by wee-allis
Not for Cobba, he has fitted a horizontal Buzzacott hit and miss engine to a Cox ride on mower in the past. Just because he could, the mad bastard.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, asw120

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #250506 by cobbadog
The horizontal shaft plus extra HP would be a good challenge but for some odd reason as much as I dont like B&S engines I do like this ol bugger and more so after lapping the valves in about 12 mon ths ago using my battery drill for speed and efficiency. This engine ticks over nicely on idle as I like all my mowers to do much to the neigh sayers on some mower sites who feel they should idle at almost 1/4 throttle. The engines runs and cuts nicely at around half throttle and the governor spring is so finely balanced that the engine may hesitate briefly when pushing and pulling the mower under low shrubs as if the spring is right on the border of being weak.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe

More
2 months 3 weeks ago - 2 months 3 weeks ago #250528 by Lang
this looks a good restoration project for you mower blokes. Apparently brand new.

Or these seem even more interesting.

Last edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH, asw120, Southbound, wee-allis

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #250631 by cobbadog
Started forming the front panel n making it fit

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, overlander, PaulFH, asw120, grandad, oliver1950

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #250633 by Southbound
Lang, those mowers look like a reely good project.

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang, PaulFH, asw120, wee-allis

More
2 months 1 week ago #250647 by cobbadog
Front panel welded in. Just a light wipe of filler over tye top. Fid a trial fit to make sure I cleared the axle, yep did do good.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH, asw120, grandad, wee-allis, PDU, oliver1950

More
2 months 1 week ago #250706 by cobbadog
Plugged the hole in the deck as that idea didnt work for flushing. Forgot it has flat blades that dont throw the water only cut it. Rear panel welded in m both ends now in filler ready to rub out.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH, wee-allis, oliver1950

Time to create page: 0.513 seconds