Skip to main content

Vintage Lawn Mower Restorations

More
2 months 1 week ago #250743 by cobbadog
Now painted n hanging out in the oven.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, eerfree, Normanby, PaulFH, asw120, grandad, roKWiz, Zuffen

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 months 5 days ago #250774 by cobbadog
EPIC FAIL !
Yesterday when I got back to the deck after lunch I pooped me pants with what I saw.
On all internal curves of the deck, inside n outside of tge chassis rail groove plus the base of the engine mount the paint had wrinkled.
Most likely paint too thick, dried on top but not underneath. So off it all comes n start again. I have never given a 3rd coat before n wont again. Put one coat on today n will let it dry completrly then a light rub back for a top coat.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Normanby, PaulFH, oliver1950

More
2 months 1 day ago #250807 by cobbadog
Alright, Im now bavk on track after my mistake of too much paint. So next is tge engine needed a spruce up. Never liked the original red paint n had dome nice gloss black engine enamel. So off came the rusty chrome parts, on with the black n clean ip the chrome as best I could using rust converters n alike. I have new decals for the engine on the way n will give it an oil change n service now. 

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH, oliver1950

More
2 months 1 day ago #250808 by cobbadog
Now for the biggest issue, bad or no chrome on the handles. Initially thought using rust converter would lift the chrome back to being half decent, wrong. About half the chrome had totally gone. I dont know of any paints that can go over chrome so removal is the next option. A 30% mix of hydrochloric acid will pickle it off but no tank big enough. So sanding is the nect option.
But thinking outside the square I am hoing to try dome heat shrink tubing so its on the way

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, wee-allis, oliver1950

More
2 months 1 day ago #250811 by Zuffen
Why not make a bath from some black plastic and scrap timber to pickle the handle?
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, wee-allis

More
2 months 4 hours ago #250823 by asw120
Never did like that model of starter. Loudest schreech I have ever heard, besides a slipping v-belt......

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
1 month 4 weeks ago #250826 by cobbadog
Never had an issue with the recoil starter on sny of the mowers.

The following user(s) said Thank You: asw120, roKWiz, PDU

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #250868 by cobbadog
Still no heat dhrink delivery but a set of brushes arrived for one of the 100mm angle grinders. Good to have them both working again one as a cutter, one as a grinder

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #250876 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic Vintage Lawn Mower Restorations
I'm in practically the same situation, one for cutting, two for grinding - but one of them is growling and gets hot quickly.  On borrowed time . . .  
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #250962 by cobbadog
Monday afternoon after visit to skin cancer clinic the heat shrink arrived. So I had a go at the top half of the handles before packing the caravan to head to Sydney for a week. If I do this again I will buy the next size up tube to make it easier to get around those tight right angle bends. Im fairly happy with the result with only a slight wrinkle on the underside of the bend. The bottom handle can only get partial shrink wrap because of the height adjusters.

The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, 180wannabe, PaulFH, oliver1950

Time to create page: 0.542 seconds