Skip to main content

Any Guesses

More
13 years 3 months ago #42577 by newto
Replied by newto on topic Re: Any Guesses

G'day, My D Reo has a Cummins 290 which I thought was a Turbo'ed 250, which Cam says is a 270. So where does a 290 fit in the model line-up.
Geoff

it could well be a 290......that was another rating used late 70's early 80's.......give me all the numbers off the fuel pump and i'll let you know what it is.
cheers,
newto

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #42578 by newto

There's nothing stopping anyone from fitting oil jets and turbo pistons, if they wanted to turbo it

except the fact that the 250 block doesnt have an oil gallery cast into it or the holes drilled to accept the piston coolers.....plus the oil pump doesnt have the excess capacity to supply the oil even if the gallery was there.
cheers,
newto

More
13 years 3 months ago #42579 by newto

[color=#000000

What I'm saying is that Dans engine with it's current pistons, can't be turbocharged without serious piston damage very shortly down the line. [/color]

spot on onetrack.....and for the technically minded,even with piston coolers,the non turbo'd 250 pistons typically run a compression ratio of 15 or 15.5 to 1....the turbocharged engines run 14 or 14.5 to 1 with 20+lbs of boost....put that boost on top of 15.1 pistons and you get.....TICK,TICK.......KABOOOOOM!!!

newto

Time to create page: 0.377 seconds