Hello Dolly

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #50872 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Hello Dolly

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by Swishy.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 11 months ago #50873 by
Replied by on topic Re: Hello Dolly
One of those setups should sort the men from the boys.
Like backing a B double or dog trailer. ;D

More
12 years 11 months ago #50874 by Rusty Engines
Replied by Rusty Engines on topic Re: Hello Dolly
All this info on dolly has been interesting, I have seen one of these many years ago. It would of been in the late 1950s in NSW and dad had a photo of it as he thought it was a good idea and I have been trying to find that photo and can

More
12 years 11 months ago #50875 by oldfulla
Replied by oldfulla on topic Re: Hello Dolly
Old Dog

Worse than all them - with only about 8" of draw bar lenght - it would be impossible to chase. A going forward device only.

Rusty

I think you are right on the braking bit - wouldnt be real good with over-ride brakes.

Having said that - there used to be a few of these around - and dirven by all and sundry - so something must have worked.

Oldfulla

More
12 years 11 months ago #50876 by grash
Replied by grash on topic Re: Hello Dolly
The Hutchinson Dolly was manufactured in Greensborough Vic. by P. Hutchinson Engineering so I thought I had better go have talk with his son and get the story.
Mr.Hutchinson designed and took out the patent around 1950 and opened a small engineering works in Greensborough in 1956 manufacturing them and doing other trailer work. He became the local agent for Hayman towbars which were made in Sth Melbourne by Jack Hayman (which in the 70"s were taken over by Reese an American Co. to become Hayman Reese).
They made most parts except coupling , wheels and springs. The springs were supplied by Spicers at 25/- each ($2.50).
With agents in all the eastern states they had a good market for a few years till Hayman started to market his level ride system, now called a Weight Distribution Hitch.
They even sold two units to the Victorian R.T.A. in the late 60

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #50877 by Eddy
Replied by Eddy on topic Re: Hello Dolly

Have heard Have seen ...
th@ when a truck is towing a car type trailer
the springin n bouncin @ the draw bar on rear of truck can damage said trailer (whipLash)
[ch9786]
;D

:-/I towed such a tandem trailer behind my Terrier a few years back. Hadda replace the draw bar before I could return it to it's rightful owner :-[

Trailer hire mobs will not allow one to be towed behind a truck unless fitted with a sprung tow bar ... (Hayman Reece etc)

... back to the dolly. Not legal in SA as it constitutes two trailers. (Although Primary producers can get exemption, often towing 2-3 fruit bin trailers ... )

Be it firearms or V8 engines, the question is not "why should you have them?"
, but "who are you to demand that I justify them?"
Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by Eddy.

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #50878 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: Hello Dolly
Well thanks to Gnash and all the forum members for useful information on this one.
Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by atkipete.

12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #50879 by
Replied by on topic Re: Hello Dolly
Well, just as you thought the dolly question and any current use of dollies, was put to bed once and for all .. the Americans just discovered this fantastic, all-new, U.S.-patented idea, of the Trailer Toad .. in 2006 .. ;D ;D

www.trailertoad.com/

Time to create page: 0.513 seconds