Skip to main content

Help ID this motor.

More
12 years 10 months ago #53601 by melonreo
Replied by melonreo on topic Re: Help ID this motor.
hi Dave
the crawler in my aviator picture is a TD24

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #53602 by ozfarm
Replied by ozfarm on topic Re: Help ID this motor.
geee, i wonder where that was taken ;D

More
12 years 10 months ago #53603 by insomniac
Replied by insomniac on topic Re: Help ID this motor.

Thanks for the help everyone.
The photos I have seen show the motor in question seems to be a Dennis as described in the spec sheet on the page link below.
Is in very good appearance condition/ runs / and has been mounted as a stationary engine on the old farm machinery type cross beams steel wheel platforms so many farmers made.
It is in a museum at Finley in NSW so I doubt its for sale but the place looks like its got a bit of old gear.

www.dennisfire.co.uk/P14.htm .

Tractor ! TD 24 ? I only ever saw grey ones on the highways years ago.
The mechanics used to say if you see a tree with a tractor under it it`s an international.
If you see a cloud of black smoke with a tractor under it its a CAT---- working !.

Dunno--- I drove a little TD9 at the opposite end of the spectrum for a while--RAG --Rough As G---ts.
Thanks Again.
:)
DDD.

12 years 10 months ago #53604 by
Replied by on topic Re: Help ID this motor.
Dave - O.K., good to see you've got it nailed down. Thanks for the Stoewer vehicles page link .. the spelling of the name threw me, I never realised it was German, I thought that the origin was American.

The name spelling problem is endemic, and much of it stems from German immigrants changing their name spelling to Anglicise it, or to avoid German ancestry links, whenever the Germans went to War.
I know numerous German families who modified their surnames during WW1 in particular, because they wanted to avoid German ancestry nastiness.
A typical example is people named Dall, their surname was originally Dahl, from German immigrants to S.A. I was surprised to find that in S.A. in the late 1800's, there were areas where German was the dominant language spoken, and German clubs were the predominant club.

Here's another one .. Walter P. Chrysler was of German ancestry, his father was Canadian-American, from German/Dutch immigrant parentage. Their ancestral name was Kreissler, it was changed to Greisler, then Chrysler! :D

More
12 years 10 months ago #53605 by insomniac
You got that right 110%.
I was raised in the middle of all those later changes in SA and there are still hang ons around today.
As for German ancestry/Australian farmers and ingenuity and engineering they are pretty dam good just the same.

That`s a good tip in searching / keep it simple and try to find the root origin of the name will often help.
EG: in Wikepedia search for name/spelling variation of <the word>might have got you there too.
You could also perhaps search for *Anglicized German/Dutch/Romanian/ names*. and be surprised what you find.
Now I need to find another project as I suppose the bloke (s) will be pretty chuffed to finally ID their prize antique.
With everyone`s help another answer is found lololo.

TNX.

DDD :)

More
12 years 10 months ago #53606 by Rusty Engines
OFF TOPIC
The name spelling problem is endemic, and much of it stems from German immigrants changing their name spelling
Hi Onetrack I disagree with you on this

12 years 10 months ago #53607 by
Replied by on topic Re: Help ID this motor.
Well, I guess it all depends what your definition of endemic is. But in WW1 in particular, anti-German feeling was running very high in Australia, and many people of German ancestry keenly felt the divide, and were anxious to make sure that they were on Australias and Britains side. As a result, German surname changes were quite common. Ask any genealogical researcher, and they will tell you that it quite often makes researching family trees difficult.

It wasn't just German surnames, many towns and locations with German names were changed in WW1, in Australia.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_place_n...ed_from_German_names

Even the British Royal family changed their surname in 1917, to Windsor, to avoid the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, German ancestry links! :D

I don't have any problem with German people, their ancestry .. or the German immigrants major contribution to Australia, from a long way back. I'm just stating facts.
Many people from distant countries have Anglicised their surnames in the Commonwealth nations.

WW1 was a particularly difficult time for Australians with German ancestry and German surnames. They were poorly treated, despite virtually all having been loyal Australians, and even serving in the AIF.
As a result, many German families chose the sensible course of making their German ancestry less obvious, by Anglicising their surnames.
I cannot find a list of these surname changes, but I wouldn't be surprised to see that it encompassed quite a sizeable number of family surnames.

www.teachers.ash.org.au/dnutting/germanaustralia/e/ww1.htm

More
12 years 10 months ago #53608 by insomniac

Whoa People lets not get too strung out over this.

endemic: adjective widespread, common, sweeping, extensive, prevalent, rife,

Great links too BTW for heritage research , I do a bit of that mainly in relation to local pastoral history etc.
Never know what you find in the bush !,
There was and still exists among people who should know better some anti < race> feelings even today.
Don`t forget the Italians who also did great work and many became foundation members of the Riverland fruit growing areas in SA and other areas.

Paradoxically there were also German Sympathizers who could often get into some pretty serious dodo for saying too much at the wrong time as well.

It`s really not possible to generalize from an individual experience as there are always good and bad.
I observed and heard much of the comments and such as a kid in the WW2 years.

There`s a wealth of information on how international business proceeded as usual despite who was on which side and I distinctly remember wondering why that could be??.

www.answers.com/topic/krupp .

While not understanding it properly it sounds similar to the Australian wheat trading debacle with Iraq.

"never let a good war stand in the way of business". :o
--
We don`t inherit the earth from our ancestors.
We borrow it! from our children.

DDD.

:)

Time to create page: 0.535 seconds