Skip to main content

help needed

More
12 years 8 months ago #60763 by trev aus
help needed was created by trev aus
I'm after a workshop manuel for a chamberlain industrial mk3
or at least a scamatic of the gearbox, do they have some form of brake to stop the gears before they engage crude syncro????

Trev

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #60764 by
Replied by on topic Re: help needed
Trev - The MK3 Chamberlain has a clutch brake that goes into the LH side of the front gearbox. It comprises a shaft with a piece of metal on the end shaped like a cupped hand.
On the inside of this cupped piece of metal is the clutch brake lining. When you stamp on the clutch, the clutch brake is activated by the clutch linkage pushing the clutch brake shaft inwards, which pushes the clutch brake lining against one of the gearbox shafts, thus slowing the gears down. The clutch brake is adjustable.

I don't have the MK3 Service Manual, but I do have two parts books for the MK3. One is issue H1, which is the earlier parts book. It comprises about 120 pages and refers to the MK3 as the "Champion MK3".

The second parts book issue is a later book (Issue G3) , that shows the rear-end loader (reversed) MK3, as well as the regular driving position MK3.
This parts book was issued in 1973, and is more comprehensive, and is laid out differently to the earlier Chamberlain parts books.
I'd say JD rewrote the Chamberlain parts book to match the other JD part books styles. This one is about 170 pages. Both books show the same transmissions.

PM me with your email if you want a full copy of either book, or if you just want a couple of pages scanned.
I also have the MK3 operators manual, if you want that as well .. about 30 pages in that.

Cheers - Ron.

More
12 years 8 months ago #60765 by trev aus
Replied by trev aus on topic Re: help needed

Trev - The MK3 Chamberlain has a clutch brake that goes into the LH side of the front gearbox. It comprises a shaft with a piece of metal on the end shaped like a cupped hand.
On the inside of this cupped piece of metal is the clutch brake lining. When you stamp on the clutch, the clutch brake is activated by the clutch linkage pushing the clutch brake shaft inwards, which pushes the clutch brake lining against one of the gearbox shafts, thus slowing the gears down. The clutch brake is adjustable.

I don't have the MK3 Service Manual, but I do have two parts books for the MK3. One is issue H1, which is the earlier parts book. It comprises about 120 pages and refers to the MK3 as the "Champion MK3".

The second parts book issue is a later book (Issue G3) , that shows the rear-end loader (reversed) MK3, as well as the regular driving position MK3.
This parts book was issued in 1973, and is more comprehensive, and is laid out differently to the earlier Chamberlain parts books.
I'd say JD rewrote the Chamberlain parts book to match the other JD part books styles. This one is about 170 pages. Both books show the same transmissions.

PM me with your email if you want a full copy of either book, or if you just want a couple of pages scanned.
I also have the MK3 operators manual, if you want that as well .. about 30 pages in that.

Cheers - Ron.

mate thanks heaps i would luv any thing you have on them.
Originaly i was told by the manager, that the box self destructed, but when picking everything up the owner told me the gearbox was always noisy & they thought that was the problem untill they pulled it out & they found the clutch plate fell apart.
Id be guessing they stripped the box to do it while it was out, (they gave me a brand new preasure & clutch plate) as i cant find any smashed gears, plenty of chips & marks, that would be pretty common for an old crash box wouldn't it???

I cleaned everything up yesterday as the stripped box has been sitting out side for a couple of yrs, id probably give it another go, but i don't know if it's complete, no bearing etc.
I thought that "cupped hand" was some form of gear brake, it had no lining left but still had the rivits lol
so it works automatic through linkages off the clutch pedal???????

I also was led to believe it hadn't gone for yrs, but the owner said they pulled it apart 2 yrs ago, & the motor was rebuilt not long before that, he was insistant "it was done properly i spent 6 grand on it"

all they used it for was putting scrap metal into bins.

I've played with old cars, motors etc etc for yrs, but i'm a real beginner on a tractor :D
I used to operate em back in the mid 80's for the old Telecom Aus, long time ago hope it's like ridding a bike :-/, was good old days long neck between ya legs all day ;D

Trev

More
12 years 8 months ago #60766 by trev aus
Well the engine running ok.

[IMG

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

took all the floor covers off today & did some more cleaning, also replaced 20 odd grease nipples and got some grease into most of em :D

[IMG

[IMG

Trev

12 years 8 months ago #60767 by
Trev - You've got a very late model Mark 3, with the later style mudguards. All the books I have are for the early Champion Mark 3, and the early Mark 3.
Chamberlain called them the Champion MK3 first, then dropped the "Champion" part in the name .. but the early MK3 still had the "Champion" nameplate along the edges of the bonnet.
Your machine doesn't have the Champion nameplates, and the guards have a different shape of cutaway around the tyre, as compared to the earlier models.
My books end at 1973, and they all show the earlier-shaped guards.

You need to find the engine serial number and chassis serial number. The engine S/N is stamped on the block behind the alternator, the chassis S/N is stamped on the LHS of the chassis, below the fuel injection pump.

More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #60768 by trev aus

Trev - You've got a very late model Mark 3, with the later style mudguards. All the books I have are for the early Champion Mark 3, and the early Mark 3.
Chamberlain called them the Champion MK3 first, then dropped the "Champion" part in the name .. but the early MK3 still had the "Champion" nameplate along the edges of the bonnet.
Your machine doesn't have the Champion nameplates, and the guards have a different shape of cutaway around the tyre, as compared to the earlier models.
My books end at 1973, and they all show the earlier-shaped guards.

You need to find the engine serial number and chassis serial number. The engine S/N is stamped on the block behind the alternator, the chassis S/N is stamped on the LHS of the chassis, below the fuel injection pump.

Thanks again hey.
so it's after 73??? when did the auto type box come out ??

The thrust & spigot bearings just arrived, box is changing trucks in Melbourne :)
The chassis number is 212 then what looks like an upside down V then 4_9

Trev
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by trev aus.

More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #60769 by trev aus
This is a mates old girl, still workin for a living :)

[IMG

Trev
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by trev aus.

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #60770 by
The auto transmission, Velvet Drive model AS2-72N was available from around the mid-1960's. It's listed in the late 1960's Champion Mark 3 parts book.

The S/N makes no sense to me. It should have something like 3/3994 as the S/N, with the "3" denoting a Mark 3, and the number after the slash, the tractors consecutive build number.
The Champion parts book I have here, dated June 1969, has a handwritten engine and tractor S/N in the front, of 236U58917 for the engine, and 3/2201 for the tractor.
This would have been for a Mark 3 tractor built around 1970-71. I suspect your tractor is late 1970's.

Your mates tractor is the very early Champion, which was released in the late 1950's, and which ran to about 1964. It probably has the L4 Perkins .. or if it's a late model, it may have the 4.236 Perkins.

More
12 years 8 months ago #60771 by trev aus

The auto transmission, Velvet Drive model AS2-72N was available from around the mid-1960's. It's listed in the late 1960's Champion Mark 3 parts book.

The S/N makes no sense to me. It should have something like 3/3994 as the S/N, with the "3" denoting a Mark 3, and the number after the slash, the tractors consecutive build number.
The Champion parts book I have here, dated June 1969, has a handwritten engine and tractor S/N in the front, of 236U58917 for the engine, and 3/2201 for the tractor.
This would have been for a Mark3 tractor built around 1970-71. I suspect your tractor is late 1970's.

Your mates tractor is the very early Champion, which was released in the late 1950's, and which ran to about 1964. It probably has the L4 Perkins .. or if it's a late model, it may have the 4.236 Perkins.

:D just hone from pub had way to many to make sense of this heheheheh talk later ;D ;D ;D

Trev

More
12 years 7 months ago #60772 by trev aus

This would have been for a Mark 3 tractor built around 1970-71. I suspect your tractor is late 1970's.

Thanks again great info :)

Trev

Time to create page: 0.549 seconds