Skip to main content

Other OLD stuff !

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
12 years 7 months ago #62072 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Other OLD stuff !

Yoooo [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

Lookn thru ur'e webshots
me dont C any pix of the one above

well
go n by the last edit date

good photo album Radish
n wot iz the technical term to call th@ 2 wheeler?

Thanx in advance

Cya

[ch9786]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #62073 by Bugly
Replied by Bugly on topic Re: Other OLD stuff !

good photo album Radish
n wot iz the technical term to call th@ 2 wheeler?
[ch9786]

I reckon that question is a trap question, that question is! ;)

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
12 years 7 months ago #62074 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Other OLD stuff !

Oh Bugly

U R one
LOL
well eye aint upto speed with me horse drawn vehicles

me nose it aint a sprung cart or a faton
but looks 2 B closely related to the harness racing

Yarh th@'z it
A Horse Harness racin DoooDaddd

LOL
Cya
[ch9786]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
12 years 7 months ago #62075 by greenie
Replied by greenie on topic Re: Other OLD stuff !
Hi Swish, I haven't had much spare time to update that album yet, I'll have to do it soon, eh.

Correct terminology for this vehicle will be a Sydney Brass Sulky, for very obvious reasons. These fancy vehicles were built by about 3 or 4 different builders in Sydney, each trying to outdo each other, for the flashiest one to be made. They even tried to copy them in Victoria, don't think they quite got it right though.

This vehicle was built by H.H.Stocks. from Newtown, circa 1910 - 1920 there-a-bouts. These flash vehicles were made right up to the late 1960's for the show-ring and are still used in the Royal Sydney Easter Show this year.

This model is of an actual vehicle owned by a Mr Bob Bone here in Brisbane, I tried to copy every detail on the vehicle, here's a photo of the original, got about fifty years of grime all over it now.

[IMG

Here's an advertisement for one of these vehicles, it's even very similar to the model I built. Swiped this photo from another forum too.

[IMG

If you owned one of these and used it as your daily driver, then you would have been " as flash as a rat with a gold tooth ".

I didn't take many photos of when I was building it, but here's one that shows a bit of detail.

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

• Topic Author
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #62076 by
Replied by on topic Re: Other OLD stuff !
Greenie, that's a great piece of workmanship that must have taken you a lot of time. You're right about the sulky being a flash item of equipment, it would have been the MG TC of the early 1900's.

On the subject of animal-powered equipment, here's some pics and info about my Dads interesting life.
He went on the road, looking for work during the Great Depression .. and after much privation, that he never related to us in full .. he ended up on Doolgunna Station in the Murchison region of W.A.

Doolgunna Station is 120 km North from Meekatharra, on the Great Northern Hwy, between Kumarina and Meekatharra, and on the East side of the Hwy. The Eastern end of the Station backs onto the Gibson Desert.

Dad got a job here (without pay, but board and lodging supplied) for 4 years, from 1930 to 1934. The owner of Doolgunna, one Jimmy Howard, was a terrific bloke, and offered Dad the station job without pay, as he had no money due to the Depression .. but he offered to pay him up in full when the Depression was over. He was true to his word, and did exactly that, in 1934.

In 1934, Dad left Jimmy Howards employment and acquired a percussion boring plant, on contract with the W.A. Boring Co.
At the same time, he acquired a team of 4 camels. He was inclined more towards animals than mechanical stuff, and obviously decided that the camels would be better in the semi-desert Station regions than a vehicle.

As part of this deal, he also acquired a 2-wheeled dray from Jimmy Howard (I have seen the station records, and I've seen this actual transaction record in writing).

This dray, was one of the four used by Charles Canning, when he installed the Canning Stock Route wells .. between 1908 and 1910!

I'm not sure whether Jimmy Howard purchased it directly from the Govt, or it had had more owners in between Canning and Howard. It's likely that it had other owners.

Dad learnt to handle camels pretty rapidly. One of his camels was big black bull camel, and it had belonged to an Afghan in Meekatharra.
The Afghan abused the camel by belting it with lumps of wood, and the camel took revenge by biting the top off the Afghans head! .. killing him in the process!
No-one would touch the "killer" camel .. but Dad took him on, and reckoned he was one of the best camels he ever had!

The Dray was used to haul water (in drums and a small tank) for the percussion rig .. and when on the move, three camels pulled the rig, and one camel pulled the dray, with supplies such as food, spares, jumper bar, fuel for the Southern Cross diesel on the plant, and other requirements.

I have no idea what happened to the dray. Dad sold it in 1937, when he left the Murchison to come to Perth.
He had done water-boring all over the Murchison, and down as far as Kalannie, in the 3 years he worked for the W.A. Boring Co.

Here's three pics from his collection, from around 1935-36. The picture quality is poor, unfortunately, due to age, heat and handling over the decades.

This first pic shows three camels hauling the boring plant, and one camel hauling Cannings dray, with a load of supplies ..

The second pic shows the dray hauling water for drilling and drinking purposes .. as well as the jumper bar, which was a piece of solid steel, 4" (100mm) in diameter and 11' (3.35M) long ..

The third pic shows Dad at work with the first camels he had handled in a team! He was obviously proud of this achievement! :)

The Canning Stock Route runs past Doolgunna, well to the East of Doolguna Station boundary.
However, Dad worked right up as far North as the Carnarvon Range .. country that he described as some of the most desolate country he had ever encountered.

Interestingly, he often spoke of how much of the country he covered was good gold-bearing country. He was never to know that Doolgunna was to be the site of many recent rich gold discoveries!

Canning Stock Route history .. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canning_Stock_Route

More
12 years 7 months ago #62077 by ianoz
Replied by ianoz on topic Re: Other OLD stuff !
Thanks Ron , A very interesting read .

More
12 years 7 months ago #62078 by q4016lanz
Replied by q4016lanz on topic Re: Other OLD stuff !
Great family history onetrack :) cheers john

More
12 years 7 months ago #62079 by greenie
Replied by greenie on topic Re: Other OLD stuff !
Wow, that old dray is a big 'un, it would have to weigh about a half a ton empty, built like the proverbial "brick dunny ". Then again, it needed to be tough, eh.

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

• Topic Author
12 years 7 months ago #62080 by
Ron,

Having traveled down the Canning Stock Route in 1985 I sorta know the conditions your dad went thru .

I would like to know what a jumper bar is and what is it used for . Dave

• Topic Author
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #62081 by
Dave, the jumper bar is the big bar attached to a percussion drilling rig, that's dropped down the hole to break the soil or rock up, so it can be removed.
Another name favoured by the Americans for this style of rig is "cable tool rig".

These old percussion rigs were simple as they come. A Southern Cross single cylinder diesel, drove a winch that wound a cable onto the drum.
The winch cable went up onto a pivoting framework, and over a pulley at the top, and the end was dropped down and hooked onto the top of the jumper bar.

The pivoting framework was hinged to allow it to be lowered for travel.

In operation, the winch was wound in, the jumper bar was raised a few feet, and then it was dropped suddenly, as the winch was disconnected.
Water was poured into the hole, and the bar was dropped into this. The bar worked effectively like a big chisel.
On the drop, the bar breaks up the soil and rock ,and combined with the water, it turns it into a thick slurry.

The raising and dropping of the jumper bar takes place on a continuous basis, for a period that depends on the softness or hardness of the soil.
Once the hole becomes near full with slurry, the bar is raised and unhooked, and a tubular pipe section (a "bailer"), with a clack valve on the bottom, is hooked up and dropped down the hole.

The dropping action fills the tube with the soil slurry, and the tube is raised. The slurry doesn't come out upon raising, because the clack valve closes the bottom when the tube is lifted, and holds the slurry inside the tube.

Once the tube full of slurry is above the hole, the tube is kicked to one side, and the clack valve opened. The slurry flows out on the ground.
The tube is dropped again and again, in this manner, until almost all the slurry is out of the hole.

The tube is unhooked, the jumper bar is hooked up again, and more water is added to the hole, and the raising and dropping of the bar continues, to deepen the hole again.

These old rigs are slow and primitive, and are totally obsolete now. However, before rotary drilling and hydraulics, they were the only way to drill water bores.
They were hard work, and were limited to relatively soft rock, clays, and soft sandy soils.
If Dad struck rock such as granite, he couldn't continue with the bore, the jumper bar would hardly mark it.
If really soft clay was encountered, the bar would jam, making for a heap of work to free it.

Dad had to handle the jumper bar himself, as he mostly worked alone. The bar weighed 215 kgs, and he gave himself a hernia in lifting it around, which wasn't repaired properly until he was in his 50's.

Here's Dad and Jimmy Howards brother, George, drilling with the percussion rig near Lake Nabberu.
Interestingly, Dad told us that Lake Nabberu was full of nearly-fresh water, in the early 1930's. I have seen pics of it in recent times, and it's just a dry dustbowl!

Time to create page: 0.500 seconds