Skip to main content

Chamberlain Question

More
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #64557 by ianoz
Chamberlain Question was created by ianoz
Guy on the TOMM forum is asking about using a loader diff . Heres a link to his Question

forums.tomm.com.au/index.php/topic,2093.0.html
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by ianoz.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #64558 by
Replied by on topic Re: Chamberlain Question
Ian, I'm having trouble understanding what he's done? He's got a different engine and tranny fitted, that now drives the output from the tranny in a reverse direction to the original? How did he do that? Does the original Chamberlain drivetrain run through gears that reverse the output drive direction to the engine direction? .. and now he has an engine and transmission that drives directly, with the transmisson output drive running the same direction as the engine?

If that's the case, I think he's out on a limb. I think the Chamberlain 9G's, whether Ag, normal Industrial, or reversed Industrial, all used the same diff, so the reversed industrial must have had different transmission gearing to reverse the drive direction.

I need to study up on the drivetrain in more detail, but basically this bloke has no option but to change his drive direction to his diff, or install a completely different rear axle that runs the direction he wants.
He's already changed the motor and tranny, so it's only half Chamberlain now, he might as well go the whole hog and install a rear axle from a Brand X and do it properly! :D

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #64559 by
O.K., after further study of the parts books and manual, I can see that the front gearbox doesn't drive direct in 3rd (top) gear .. the output shaft isn't from the mainshaft, it comes from the layshaft or countershaft, and the output direction is reversed from the engine.

The rear gearbox is a regular setup, with all gears, whether it's the 2-speed (Champion 6G) or 3-speed (Champion 9G) producing the output drive through the mainshaft with no output direction reversal.
Thus, in the standard R.W.D. Ag and Industrial tractors, the pinion shaft is spinning in a reverse direction to the engine direction when going forwards.

Yes, the rear-end loader (known as the F.W.D. or Front Wheel Drive in the Chamberlain parts book) does have a reversed diff.
This entails a totally different diff housing. The standard diff housing is P/N 23408 or 30156, depending on whether it's a Whitworth bolt version (early) or whether it uses UNC/UNF bolts (later version).

The reversed diff housing is P/N 23410, it was fitted from tractor number IND1256, which is apparently the S/N of the first rear-end loader produced.
When the rear-end loader appeared, was not long after the change from 6G to 9G took place .. with the change from the 2-speed rear gearbox to the 3-speed rear gearbox.
This transmission change was done at tractor S/N DM1510 and IND1117 (for the R.W.D. industrial tractors).

It appears that the change to UNC/UNF bolts was done prior to the introduction of the rear-end loader.

The reversed diff on the rear-end loader uses different axles to the standard diff, naturally. There are also 4 different diff types, as the carrier design was changed this many times.
The trumpet housings are the same all through, and he will be able to use his trumpet housings and final drives.
There are two different brake sizes, with 19" brakes being the later improved braking system.
In addition, the pinion and crown wheel are a matched set. This means he will have to acquire the rear gearbox AND diff/diff housing from the same rear-end loader, he won't be able to acquire a gearbox from one loader and a diff from another.

So .. he will need to acquire a rear-end loader (reversed) diff and diff housing, the rear-end loader axles, the same rear-end loader rear gearbox .. and he will be able to fit all these components into his Ag 9G tractor.

The main places he will likely be able to source these components, will be agricultural wreckers. In W.A. we have Kulin Tractor Wreckers, and Condingup Wreckers.

I know that Kulin Tractor Wreckers are only a shadow of what they used to be, the business has changed hands more than once .. and they cleaned the yard up by sending hundreds and hundreds of tonnes of remnant tractor parts to China several years ago.
Their wrecking activities are now virtually non-existent compared to the early 1990's.
Condingup may have something, or maybe some of the tractor wreckers on the right coast. Alternatively, he may be able to find an old Champion 9G rear-end loader lying unloved and abandoned somewhere. However, most of these old girls are still going, they were so tough and reliable, I think you'll find only a small number have been scrapped or wrecked.

12 years 6 months ago #64560 by
After doing a search on Chamberlain R.W.D. loaders, I found the TOMM bloke had posted questions before, with more info on what he's doing.

He's putting a Chrysler 318 V8 truck engine and 4-speed truck gearbox into the 9G, and he only got half an answer previously, where another member told him the diff was just reversed.
Yes, it was just reversed, but with a completely new and different diff housing to match.

The 318 will make that Chamberlain fly! I hope he understands that Chamberlains have go-faster brakes as standard equipment! .. and he upgrades the brakes accordingly, to some kind of power-assistance, along the lines of the road-going tractor cranes!

forums.tomm.com.au/index.php?topic=2003.0

More
12 years 6 months ago #64561 by ozfarm
Replied by ozfarm on topic Re: Chamberlain Question
kulin wreckers ceased to exist , wuntak

shesanoamorea

More
12 years 6 months ago #64562 by ianoz
Replied by ianoz on topic Re: Chamberlain Question
Thanks Ron , I will Link this reply back over to him .

12 years 6 months ago #64563 by
OzFamine - Well, you'd better spread the word, because Kulin Tractor Wreckers are still listed everywhere, including the 2010/2011 Farm Guide!

farmguide.realviewtechnologies.com/?xml=...wa.xml&startpage=111

I haven't been to Kulin for about 5 or 6 years, and my mate Meggs never told me KTW had gone. How long ago did they shut up shop? Must have been last years drought that done them in?

Time to create page: 0.403 seconds