Skip to main content

looking for 1975 Bedford bus Steering Ram

More
2 years 6 months ago #226580 by jon_d
Adrian said a few years ago that rams were getting very rare. If he hasn't got one, no-one will. You'll need to repair it or find a wreck. Ford D trucks(?) had the same set up but can't be used. The rams are shorter.

I have the work shop manual showing how to repair them. If you send me your email address, I forward you the scanned section.

The hardest part might be getting the special seals. Maybe try Adrian again to ask if he has the spool O rings and the piston seals. He might have them.

The actual repair is not complex. That's the beauty of Bedford buses. :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 6 months ago #226582 by jon_d
Also, it's not a simple ram.

It has a spool/valve inside it. When the steering wheel is moved, it opens the spool and the ram moves. It's important to get the right, otherwise the ram will drive to full lock, or "shudder" as the spool tries to find the bypass position and the driver tries to keep the bus straight. Bit like a 3 point linkage being out for adjustment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 6 months ago #226593 by cobbadog
This might be another one of my silly comments but can a sleeve be fitted?

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
2 years 6 months ago #226594 by Sarge
Bit closer to home, if you cant get yours fixed, try midland truck spares eaglehawk rd bendigo. They are Winding down but been there long enough to have 50 year old spares.

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Moderators: Sargehayseedjimbo51
Time to create page: 0.427 seconds