Skip to main content

Pros & Cons

• Topic Author
14 years 10 months ago #9933 by
Pros & Cons was created by
As most people know i own a 34 Bedford which is 6 Volt and i'm asking the EXPERTS what i should do leave it as a 6volt or change it to a 12 Volt . Dave 8-) :-/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 10 months ago #9934 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Pros & Cons

Dedlee
GuddayM8

RE: leave it as a 6volt or change it to a 12 Volt
Iz there a problem?
why u wanna do th@?

spose owning a BedPhord can B daunting
or duz the Bedstead own U

LOL

I can remember way back when the VW beetle twaz 6v n people converted the light bulbs, alternator n battery to 12v
they left the starter az 6v
when the 6v starter gets 12v it surley spins over very qik
me thinks its ok like this providing U only use starter for a few secounds @ a time

or were u thinking of useing the starter az a booster to get the beast more mobile

LOL

Cya

[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
14 years 10 months ago #9935 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Re: Pros & Cons
Dave, as a fellow Bedford owner I admire your fotitude in the face of all these jealous buggers who dont own one.
My O series is/was 6 volt, I made the change because I always had a 12 volt battery available but never a 6, I have only done the ignition coil and geny, the starter puts up with the 12 volts just fine, I dont crank to long and in any case, she starts easily.

I also found that 12 volt parts are more common than 6, so 12 it is for me, .................. I hope this does not mean the Ghost had a mishap....

Sarge :-X

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
14 years 10 months ago #9936 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Re: Pros & Cons
Geez.......I read the title of this thread and thought you'd gone through the members list and sorted us all into two group's ......hahaha

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
14 years 10 months ago #9937 by melonreo
Replied by melonreo on topic Re: Pros & Cons
Hey swishman
maybe Deadly is going to hook the starter up to the overdrive button :D
then we would have a low flying Clampet 1 ;D

More
14 years 10 months ago #9938 by melonreo
Replied by melonreo on topic Re: Pros & Cons
my ski boat used to have a 292 Y block for with a direct drive prop, it was 6volt starter on 12 volt system..it would start quick for a quick take off ( that is for a ford donk ) it is a seventies model boat and i put a chev in it in 1999, and the starter lasted all that time..
all of my old tractors , that have starter motors , are all 6 volt, and i just run 12 volt batteries and coils -- i think the secret is not to turn it over for to long if it wont start,, and dont let it get hot ,,,,,
M _ _ _ _ REO

• Topic Author
14 years 10 months ago #9939 by
Replied by on topic Re: Pros & Cons
Thanks blokes that seems to be the best way to go so thats what will do with 1936 Bedford wide body market gardner. Dave

More
14 years 10 months ago #9940 by huppypuppy
Replied by huppypuppy on topic Re: Pros & Cons

Dedlee
GuddayM8

RE: leave it as a 6volt or change it to a 12 Volt
Iz there a problem?
why u wanna do th@?

spose owning a BedPhord can B daunting
or duz the Bedstead own U

LOL

I can remember way back when the VW beetle twaz 6v n people converted the light bulbs, alternator n battery to 12v
they left the starter az 6v
when the 6v starter gets 12v it surley spins over very qik
me thinks its ok like this providing U only use starter for a few secounds @ a time

or were u thinking of useing the starter az a booster to get the beast more mobile

LOL

Cya

[ch9787]

Swishy,

This would be from my old man's book too - he's been a air-cooled & carburetted (notice the correct spelling! LOL :)) VW mechanic for almost 5 decades!

To convert from 6V to 12V is a cinch - rebuild generator to 12V and fit a 12V battery! Fit new bulbs and EUREKA! We have a 12V car made from a 6V car!

Joe

More
14 years 10 months ago #9941 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Re: Pros & Cons
Dave,
Old age crept in and I forgot to mention that I had to change the Regulator as well ..... of course,
I dont know much about them but apparently the Geny and Volt reg must be the same make. They seem to be a little harder to source than the Geny's, or you could go all out and fit an alternator with built in reg, just remake the mount brackets.

Sarge :-X

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

Time to create page: 0.437 seconds