Skip to main content

clayton dewandre brake actuator

More
14 years 9 months ago #11356 by jerseyjoe
hello everyone,im trying to fix my old commer v horsebox and am having trouble with the actuators!could anyone tell me where i might get seals and what lubricant to use.oh its air/hydraulic and i live in france but go to uk as here seems almost impossible to find parts.any help gratfully recieved joe

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 9 months ago - 14 years 9 months ago #11357 by
Joe - WABCO now own Clayton Dewandre .. who effectively ceased manufacturing brake systems in the early 1980's.
In the U.K., you can try Wabco Automotive U.K., to see what is available.
In many cases, a WABCO component has to be purchased, to replace any irrepairable Clayton Dewandre component.
If your CD actuators only need simple, straightforward seals, they should be readily available.
If the seals are specially made CD parts, its highly likely they will no longer be available, and you'll need to replace the CD actuators with WABCO current ones.
Air over hydraulic systems use standard brake fluid for the system, and rubber grease is a satisfactory lubricant for all rubber components.
Don't use mineral-oil based grease, it will decompose rubber.

www.truckandcv.com/company.asp?id=5026

EBay is also a good source of parts for older vehicles, with many NOS parts on offer ..

shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907...t=See-All-Categories

More
14 years 9 months ago #11358 by jerseyjoe
thanks a lot for that! i have some rubber grease so ill give that a go!i have found a little seal shop not far from me so its looking good! i dont suppose you know of a product called "shell donax" "a1" as i have what appears to be a "lubricator felt" and i the manual i have it says to saturate it with shell donax a1! once again many thanks for all your help! it makes all the difference! joe

14 years 9 months ago #11359 by
Joe - I still even have a tin of Shell Donax A1 in my shop! .. it's probably only been there for 40 years!! ;D

Not sure if Shell still manufacture it under that name .. but it's only a shock absorber oil. You may find similar listed as "fork oil" for motorbikes.
It's basically a light hydraulic oil, such as 10W weight, that you'd usually use in truck hoist hydraulics, forklift hydraulics, etc, etc.

Now come on, Swishy .. start on with with "fork oil" jokes .. :D

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 9 months ago #11360 by Swishy

Eye got fork all

LOL

Cya

[ch9786]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH