Skip to main content

Inter AB120

More
14 years 9 months ago #11854 by paul404
Replied by paul404 on topic Re: Inter AB120
mate $1200 sounds like a bargain. i would guarantee that if you saw a good one and went to get it, there would be some money to spend before you set sail. then all the running around to get permits and insurance for every day you drive it home. wont be cheap to get what you want home but at least it will get there with no hassles. believe me if she breaks down in woop woop and you got no tools all you will think about is how cheap $1200 bucks is. would be a bloody fun road trip though :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 9 months ago #11855 by
Replied by on topic Re: Inter AB120
I would consider that the $1200 as a good deal!

I would have to say that I could not make the trip from east to west with my AB151 in 4 days! And the fuel cost would be quite high.

The distance from melbourne to perth is approx 3,500km. My normal average speed is around 75km/hr. So that would take approx 47hours non-stop! So lets assume get 6hrs a day in actual driving time that would be about 7-8 days. As for fuel... Been a while since I did a check on my milage while empty but would think about 15-20 l/100km would be good. So based on say 20. Think if my maths is holding about 700 litres of petrol. So even cheap petrol in melb is hovering around $1.2 but across SA would get up over $2 I'm sure. So lets average at $1.5 the cost would be $1050.

These are just estimates based on approx what I get on my truck on a good day. While my truck is a AB151 it runs the small 240 engine which would I guess be the same as the ab120. The difference would be in the vehicle weight and the ratio of the diff. So your speed and fuel consumption will be different. But then again I think my estimates above may be on the generous side.

And I haven't allowed for insurance and vehicle permits. Also I think you have to allow for the possibility of what happens if.... Would be very costly I would think to get a vehicle recovered and towed if something should happen in the wrong spot.

But as Paul404 says would be good fun! And who knows when I get my truck totally sorted for touring I might make the mad dash across to perth!

More
14 years 9 months ago #11856 by Recy Mech
Replied by Recy Mech on topic Re: Inter AB120
Not to 'carry on' about how many times I have done the west-east and back again trip (not professioally, only for army leave purposes) and believe me I'm over it! However, the child in me says or is that the 4 out of the 5 voices in my head ;D just one more trip and this time with a sense of adventure.

As for the costings, they were a bit of a back-of-the-beer-coaster, I had a rough idea the Inter/Dodge engines would suck fuel like I was a shareholder with Shell.

So after all my ramblings, the head says pay the $1200 and the heart says drive it...and suffer while I'm stuck at Balladonia roadhouse >:(

14 years 9 months ago #11857 by
Just don't wan't to see a AB on the side of the road! Or wrapped around a lamp post! (Guess not many of these over on the Nullabour but I believe some of the bumps could be hazardous (camels etc ;D))

Currently at work so I have some real figures from my AB inter during its run Melbourne, murray bridge and return via ouyen and horsham. Total distance traveled approx 1700 kms. Average fuel consumption 28l/100km! Be aware that this is fully loaded up to near enough full gross for majority of the trip to make no difference!

More
14 years 9 months ago #11858 by Recy Mech
Cheers for that JB, bl**dy frustrating stuff this trying to get a half decent Inter. Looks like all the good one's are taken up or being restored back to their former glory.

Well the quest for the holy grail continues...watch this space. Oh, by the way I'm looking at a C1300 (in another website dealing with motorcar sales), he's asking a bit much though.

14 years 9 months ago #11859 by
Ironman

Good things come to those that wait.

If you realy want an AB 120 then dont look at anything else or you may never stop kicking yourself.

More
14 years 9 months ago #11860 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Inter AB120
Ironman,the only pice of advice I can think of is be patient mate.There aren`t that many of us fools (like us) that dable in the weird hobby of collecting fuel guzzeling,big (as in you`ve got to store it),old things that most of the population regard as dangerous liabilities.Old Trucks aren`t something you have to worry about someone doing a Dutch Auction,they sit for a long time before they are sold generally.It doesn`t matter how much someone has spent doing it up,it`s only got two values,what old mate who`s selling it reckons it`s worth,and what old mate who`s buying reckons it`s worth.Take your time,something will crop up. ;)

More
14 years 9 months ago #11861 by Recy Mech

Ironman

Good things come to those that wait.

If you realy want an AB 120 then dont look at anything else or you may never stop kicking yourself.

Quote Posted by: bigcam Posted on: Yesterday at 17:21:10*
Ironman,the only pice of advice I can think of is be patient mate.There aren`t that many of us fools (like us) that dable in the weird hobby of collecting fuel guzzeling,big (as in you`ve got to store it),old things that most of the population regard as dangerous liabilities.Old Trucks aren`t something you have to worry about someone doing a Dutch Auction,they sit for a long time before they are sold generally.It doesn`t matter how much someone has spent doing it up,it`s only got two values,what old mate who`s selling it reckons it`s worth,and what old mate who`s buying reckons it`s worth.Take your time,something will crop up. unquote

Cheers fella's, all good advice which I've taken onboard. But wait...there's more ;D funny how things do turn out. Sitting in the crib room last night (night shift) grabbed hold of the newspaper and checked out the For Sales. A bloke selling a C1300 (4x2 duals on back) in running condition on behalf of his son (wanted to restore it...sound familiar), seems like the project was just a bit bigger than he thought.

Now, just waiting on pictures.

More
14 years 4 months ago #11862 by G
Replied by G on topic Re: Inter AB120
mate all the best with it, mine cost three times as much on parts and took year longer than first planned, all up the rebuild cost 2k and Iam happy, on Qld show plates and get a hoot every time I drive it. options are you can go better than showroom or keep it original and confirm all safety bits. or as I did went patina due to the poor state of the cab and leave it rough and fun, no issues if you scratch my girl.

AB120&&Dodge 233&&Farmall A x2&&Farmall AV&&Dogde 108

More
14 years 4 months ago #11863 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Inter AB120
Hi G,have you got any pics?

Time to create page: 0.520 seconds