Skip to main content

Vic Roads and there bl---y computers

• Topic Author
14 years 9 months ago #12139 by
Does anyone have an instruction book for a 1927 International SL34 Speed Truck.

I am trying to get a permit from Vic Roads for a roadworthy on my truck and have found out that it is already in the Vicroads database as it was registered in NSW about 10 years ago but when it was registered it was put in as a 1925 with a 6 tonne GVM.
The truck weigh's 2.3 tonne which means it was registered to carry 3.7 tonne (not bad for a 1.5 tonne truck).
It should be about 3.8 tonne GVM.

At the moment if i register it the driver will need to have a mimimuim LR (light ridgid) licence and also the difference in Registration is about $400 per year.

The Crismon book has that the SL34 & SL36 has a capacity of 1-1/2 tonne.
I have a copy of the following Instruction Books and they have,
The S speed truck has a capacity of 2000 pounds (about 1 tonne)
The S24-S26 trucks have 2500 pounds (1-1/4 tonne)
The SF34-SF36 trucks have 3000 pounds (1-1/2 tonne).

But i havn't got one for my SL34 I need to find the book as it will have the carrying capacity in it that i can show to Vic Roads so they can change there computer.
If i can not find anything it means i may have to register it as is and pay the extra each year or write to Vic Roads asking for an Exemption to register the truck at the lower gvm.
Either way i can not get a permit till it is resolved because with the 6 tonne gvm it needs to have a truck tester inspect it but at a 3.8 tonne gvm then it must be inspected by a car tester.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago - 14 years 9 months ago #12140 by The Shadow
Now did you go into Vic roads or call them.

Because I have had fun with them, when you call them they must press a wrong button. I had a 6x4 and with the vin number some how the trailer was reg as a 3 ton truck.

I dropped into the place and had a friend look at it and the system, and found some one had pressed the wrong number when it was last reg. (And yes last rego was NSW)

The more older trucks on the road&&The more memorizes of how things use to be.&&[url
Last edit: 14 years 9 months ago by The Shadow.

More
14 years 9 months ago #12141 by bparo
Trevor,

How often do you intend to drive it and are you a member of a vehicle club?

If you don't intend to drive it every day only to club events or the occassional use for which you can get a special use permit from the club it is the same rate whether it is a truck, car or motorcycle. I think it is around $110.

Under the current system in Victoria there are restrictions such as:
- It can not be used for a commercial purpose (and people have been pinged driving into a swap meet with a load of stuff to sell. going in empty and using it to bring stuff home for personal use is ok)
- you can not use it to drive to work
- you must carry the paperwork from vicroads along with the special use permit or a club newsletter/flyer for the event you are attending.
- you must have thew appropriate licence for a vehicle as if it was registered
- you can however share expenses on a trip

The only potential issue is the Victorian System is not recognised in WA as it is an 'unregistered vehicle permit' not a 'concessional registration'

However you do save on registration (around $800 on my Inter) and also insurance as by definition the vehicle is limited use.

The are advantages and disadvantges to both. I keep my XP Ute on Full Registration as it is too handy to keep on club plates if I want to go to the hardware, collect firewood etc.

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

• Topic Author
14 years 9 months ago - 14 years 9 months ago #12142 by
Bparo

I am a member of the HCVC and have looked at club plates but the problem that i have at the moment is they will only issue a permit for it at 6 tonne GVM from Vic Roads which means a truck tester and then i am stuck with it at that weight.

I still haven't made my mind up on club reg or full reg.

The shadow

I went into One Vicroads office and was told straight out that it can not be registered on full reg.
Then last week when i was registering my son's car at a different branch i showed them a picture of the truck and asked if it could be registered and was told if it has been previously registered then yes it can be, this is when they looked it up on the computer and the problem about the GVM started.
So this is why i need as much information as possible.
But finding the correct information from 82 years ago that might be a bigger problem.
Vic roads are also looking back through there archive of old paper books to see what thay have got.

I wish it was just as easy as changing a pen stroke on a peice of paper but with computers and all the history they have they can't just go in and change it without the back up information.

• Topic Author
14 years 9 months ago #12143 by
I think you will find that vicroads wouldn't have it on paper records. As I understand it they no longer have any paper records everything they felt was necessary has been moved over to the computer. I think it is the aomc has copies of the paper records.

The other thing would be to see if Vicroads has another vehicle the same make and model on their system. The problem generally they usually aren't very co-operative.

As far as the requirements for rwc or reg. Generally you only have to comply with the standards of when the vehicle was manufactured. For example my inter is a 64 model and doesn't have seat belts. It doesn't need them as they weren't compulsory until early 70's for its class. However if it had seatbelts fitted it must comply with modern requirements.

More
14 years 9 months ago #12144 by bparo

Bparo

I am a member of the HCVC and have looked at club plates but the problem that i have at the moment is they will only issue a permit for it at 6 tonne GVM from Vic Roads which means a truck tester and then i am stuck with it at that weight.

I still haven't made my mind up on club reg or full reg.

My Inter has a gvm of 9.1 tonnes. When I first got it one club member suggested I speak to a vehicle engineer and get it downgraded to drive on a car licence. The idea was that to travel at full gvm surrounded by modern motorists would be dangerous so downgrade it to closer to modern standards.

I didn't take that route as with my stationary engine and camping gear on board I would have breached 4.5 tonnes anyway and decided if I was going to do a licence upgrade from a car it may as well be an HR licence but it may be an answer for you.

It may be a one-off fee that is repaid by the 2nd year. I know of a 1935 Brockway that has had that done recently to allow the owner's grandson to drive it.

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
14 years 9 months ago #12145 by Sarge
Trevor, you have been given some good advice, and Maryborough may be too far to go just to ask questions, but they gave much more help than my local office.

The only way Vicroads can identify your vehicle is if you provide them the old rego, so dont.

If they have the engine number recorded, they will not in all porbability have any chassis number, if you have changed the motor, or changes the chassis parts then they have no idea what truck you have unless you tell them... dont tell them.

Its years since I worked in a rego office but back them we had books for every known make and model and their capacities etc... copies of these books are apparently in possession of some club... but Maryborough Vicroads still had some of the rules and formula books. So I expect they all will have, but being lazy could send you off to an engineer.

So in short ask again but play dumb about previous registration and give them the GVM that you believe is right. They may have the base information recorded. they wanted to send my ACCO to melbourne for their scutineers to look at because I didnt have the old rego... I found it then.

Good luck

Sarge :-X

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

• Topic Author
14 years 9 months ago #12146 by
JBlair

The person i am talking to at Vic Roads is one of the "Old" school people and is being very helpfull and he made a phone call while i was there and asked for the paper record's to be searched.

The roadworthy does only have to comply with 1927 Regulations so that means no doors,seat belts only back brakes and hand wiper the only thing that has to be added is front indicators and rear lights.
At 25 MPH i hope this will be enough.

BParo

The licence is not an issue as i already have my MR licence.

The weight issue is the problem, why have a truck rated at 6T when its manufacturer rated it at 3.8T and i think it may have been a mistake when it was first registered so i am hopefull to have this rectified.

Sarge

I hear what you are saying but my thought on this is it is better to be honest and sort it out properly that way if/when i get pulled over by VicRoads while driving my Old Girl i have nothing to worry about.
Also Vic Roads already have the Chassis Number and Engine number in their system.

The Parts catalog i am looking for which is MT-4 or MT-4-A i am still trying to find a number for the Instruction Manual.

Thank you all for the comments so far and keep up the good work.

• Topic Author
14 years 9 months ago #12147 by
YES

With an emailed copy of the part's book and all the other information i was able to get hold of the great bloke at VICROADS is changing the weight back to 4 tonne so now when i am ready i can get a permit and take it to any car vehichle tester to get my roadworthy.
Then it is just Full reg or club plates.

Time to create page: 0.505 seconds