Skip to main content

Torque settings 6V-53 head bolts .....

More
14 years 9 months ago #12421 by sidey
I am sure through the wealth of knowledge that we are lucky enough to have in this forum , i will be able to source the torque settings for the heads on my 6-53 which i have noticed need tightening after degreasing the motor and running it, i noticed a small series of bubbles along one of the heads both on the manifold and exhaust sides , someone help me out by some chance .......reckon SWISHY would have that information close at hand.... :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #12422 by bigcam
Hi Sidey,GM Diesel is probobly your man.If you have a look on E bay you`ll probobly get a manual on CD for under $20.Anyway,I`ve never had the heads of a 53,but I can recall the 71`s.The headgaskets have got O rings that go around the water and oil gallery`s,so that maybe your trouble.I`d wait until you get a bit more expert opinion than mine,I`m sure a few will chip in in the next couple of days.They are easy to work on,Len Cullen from Macquarrie in Brisbane is a good source of new parts and advice.See ya,Cam.

14 years 9 months ago #12423 by
Hi Sidey,
Here is a scan of the torque settings for you... Whether or not it will fix your problem is another thing. :(

Cheers
Stuart

[img]www.smcswainengineering.com.au/53specs.jpg[/img]

More
14 years 8 months ago - 14 years 8 months ago #12424 by GM Diesel
Hello Sidey,

After pressure cleaning its normal to have bubbles coming out between the head and block. There will be water trapped between the block deck and the head outside of the square perimeter gasket.
When you run after a clean metal heats up which inturn heats the moisture up which expands and escapes. Im sure this is what you are seeing and its no problem.
However keep an eye on it. If its still bubbling water out after an hour or so of running you may have a leak. If this is the case it'll be in the sump also if its a head O ring.
If you have a leaking fire ring you will hear it with a stethescope.
If you have a leaking coolant O ring tightening the head wont fix it.
The perimeter O ring that runs around the outside of the head if cactus will leak oil real bad before you see any water. They either seal or they dont.
If after running for awile it still persists check the thermo housing on the front of the head. Sometimes water bubbles on the bottom side of the head near exhaust eminate from the thermo housing on the front of the head leaking and dribbling back along.
Hope this helps.

Basil :D

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.
Last edit: 14 years 8 months ago by GM Diesel.

More
14 years 8 months ago #12425 by sidey
Thanx for the feedback guys , just gettin all me P's and Q's in place , the old girl was fully rebuilt about 12-14 yrs ago and only did about 3000k's and hasnt been touched since , so any feedback is good , thanx again....Wayne

Time to create page: 0.438 seconds