Skip to main content

Coolant Leak 1626 Merc

More
9 years 10 months ago #144495 by Merc 1626
I have been a member of this forum for sometime now and have posted a couple of time usually seeking mechanical advice so here I go again. My old Merc 1626 has developed a water leak between the cylinder heads it has been doing it for awhile now it, doesn't seem to increase when the engine is running it just drips away at a similar rate going or stopped about a litre an hour when you are driving. The truck runs very cool so I expect it doesn't build up much pressure in the cooling system when it is running. When the tuck is left standing for a week or so the water drips out until the water levels evens out.
I have cleaned the offending area and can see the water running down between the heads but can't see where it is coming from, there is a welch plug in the side of the head but it doesn't seem to be coming from it , so this only leaves the head gasket. It doesn't look like a huge job to pull the head off but does anyone think it is worth trying chemiweld or a similar product before pulling the head or heads off because I am can't see exactly which head is leaking..
thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #144496 by ChainDrive
I am not sure about the Merc engine but I have been told it is a common problem with the N series volvo engines. There is a welsh plug between the separate heads and two of the heads have to be removed to get to the offending welsh plug. Thats what I have been told anyway, someone on the forum will know for sure.

More
9 years 10 months ago #144497 by dieseldog
If you think its the head gasket, try re-torqueing the head bolts. I have seen some engines (not a Merc) where the head bolts have either stretched or backed off a bit, and the head gasket has leaked. I have then re-tensioned the bolts and the leak has taken up.

More
9 years 10 months ago #144498 by geoffb
Replied by geoffb on topic Re: Coolant Leak 1626 Merc
There are some good additives around theses days that may help I personnally keep away form chemi- weld though used it once and it fixed the leak but also blocked off the heater core

More
9 years 10 months ago #144499 by gilly
Replied by gilly on topic Re: Coolant Leak 1626 Merc
Send me a pm, I have a product from the states that I have used for many years & is brilliant. Give it a go, its a powder that you mix with water & tip in, used it for Falcon heagaskets in taxis for years.
Gilly

More
9 years 10 months ago #144500 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: Coolant Leak 1626 Merc
Some of the leak fix powders work but only with plain water. Add anti freeze and the leak opens up again.

Time to create page: 0.476 seconds