Skip to main content

Beginner: Welding

More
9 years 8 months ago #146692 by trucksyd
Replied by trucksyd on topic Re: Beginner: Welding
G'day,I did some more rust patches on my inter , I started by cutting out the steel..

I use this thick tracing paper to mark it out ,just gently follow the cut out section,

After I've measured the cutout piece ,I place it over this steel, & trace around the tracing paper ,then I get the cutting wheel grinder ,& carefully cut the shapes,I stay a mm or so outside the liner to have a little bit there in case..

I sprayed the inside of the cut & also the back of the piece with this copper spray ,(Geoff from this truck forum put me onto this ,he also helped me out with some very helpful welding tips)thanks again mate..

I started practising these welds after Geoff showed me ,my problem was the welds were to high ,so the problem was the wire speed was to slow ,I had the gas turned downed to its lowest setting which is good,after I practised the welds weren't high they were a small hump ,you may be able to see the newer welds in the photo...

There are different brands of this copper spray, there is a 3M brand & several others ,but they all do the same thing & are supposed to protect the steel ,so it's applied before welding..

This is the cutout piece, I measured it against the cut & it is close ,only a couple of mm out , so what I did was gently grind ,I wear thick gloves in case I nick myself ,& gently grind along this gets the gaps closer ,to the point of it sitting almost flush.

After I set my cutout pieces, I start the welder, I tried using the proper method with gas , but it was a bit strong & blew small holes through the steel ,so I backed off the wire speed & also the gas ,& just used smaller welds , the welds are a bit messy ,but I am still trying to get the hang of it, the patches are strong.

After grinding down the welds I used this wax & grease remover,just pour some onto a clean rag ,I always pour it onto the rag as I don't want the wax&grease to get dust back into tin . Then wipe your weld down with the wet rag & follow it by drying with another clean rag

At this stage the welds are there but I need to grind back ,& then give it a wax&grease, then prime again & apply bog,

This is where we are at for now, next time I will show what grit sandpaper to use , & do the finishing touches, although these procedures are similar to the last ones ,it can give you a better idea to repair your rust problems.
As I have said earlier I am only a beginner welder, but if these posts can help some of you blokes fixing your trucks in an economical way,it all helps especially you blokes living in the regional country areas who don't have access to panelbeaters etc... :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
9 years 8 months ago #146693 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Beginner: Welding
TrukSid
Gudday M8

L@@kn good

LookyLooky
Scotch fillets only $12.99

LOL
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
9 years 8 months ago #146694 by geoffb
Replied by geoffb on topic Re: Beginner: Welding
Notice across the bottom there you would have had trouble looks like the rusted metal was still present
Just a piont/comment clean no rust is the best result but for some repairs that isn't always the case

More
9 years 8 months ago #146695 by wouldyou
Replied by wouldyou on topic Re: Beginner: Welding
Hello Trucksyd,
A flap wheel in place of the grinding disc works OK.
Cheers, David.

More
9 years 8 months ago #146696 by trucksyd
Yeah swishy ,cheap only 12.99 kg !.....he he ,,lol

More
9 years 8 months ago #146697 by cranky crank
Replied by cranky crank on topic Re: Beginner: Welding
Hi Trucksyd
Good to see you having a go.
I would get a bit more severe with the angle grinder and cut a bit deeper into the rust. It is not easy trying to weld where the rust is still breaking through.
Get back into some more solid material, cut a larger patch to suit, tack in many spots to hold it in place with out distortion and follow all the good advice given by other forum members.
Keep out of the wind with the mig or turn up the gas.

Cheers
Cranky crank

More
9 years 8 months ago #146698 by trucksyd
No worries geoffb& cranky, it's all a little thin in the steel dept on the bonnet ,the old girl really needs a less rusty bonnet , but I will cut wider next time ,,

More
9 years 8 months ago #146699 by grahamjb
Replied by grahamjb on topic Re: Beginner: Welding
My two cents worth
I have found that when guys are learning to weld they often tense their arm which affects the way the weld is laid down.
If your arm is tense the weld will usually be poor whereas a relaxed arm (ie forearm resting on something like a bench or your knee etc) will usually lead to better handpiece control resulting in a better weld.

More
9 years 8 months ago #146700 by Intermodel63
Replied by Intermodel63 on topic Re: Beginner: Welding
Hi Trucksyd,

Remember you have two hands use the other one to support the torch (in relaxed mode) it takes some of the wobble out for us older blokes.

Graham

More
9 years 8 months ago #146701 by trucksyd

Hello Trucksyd,
A flap wheel in place of the grinding disc works OK.
Cheers, David.

I have a flap wheel , I'll rip into it this week ,I tried it before & I thought it was chewing up the wheel a bit ,thanks would you

Time to create page: 0.503 seconds