Skip to main content

K Model Bedford Stuck Clutch

More
8 years 3 months ago #166692 by Pierre
Replied by Pierre on topic K Model Bedford Stuck Clutch
Thanks DieselDog.
So once I have the engine & gearbox out I'll be able to separate the two & be able to get to the stuck clutch, is that correct?
I don't want to break a yoke with that rope trick!

Yes, good point I will change out do those key seals as well.

The motor was smokey, so will need rings & valve seals..
cheers
Pierre

Pierre

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #171504 by Pierre
Guys, I haven't progressed too far with the removal of the engine & gearbox. Been busy preparing & painting mud guards, bumper & cleaning lots of other small parts.
I've taken the clutch cover plate off & exposed the pressure plate thinking I'd be able to have access to separate the clutch discs. Cover plate Drain hole was blocked & water sitting in there not helping the cause.
cheers Pierre
(see photo)

[IMG

Pierre

More
7 years 10 months ago #171506 by Mrsmackpaul
looks like its gunna need a swim in molasses and water up end the motor and build the tub on the floor

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
7 years 10 months ago #171509 by Pierre
Paul, yeah you're not wrong. :)
regards
Pierre

Pierre

More
7 years 10 months ago #171513 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic K Model Bedford Stuck Clutch
does it also mean the welch plug at the back of the motor needs replacing (I would do it anyway now the motor is out) or has the truck been swimming? :blink:

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
7 years 10 months ago #171519 by Pierre
Sarge, no I don't think so. Yes I will change out all the welch plugs.
I believe rain got in after I had the starter motor out through a hole in the tarp & the drain hole in the cover plate was blocked.
cheers
Pierre

Pierre

More
7 years 10 months ago #171534 by tim
Replied by tim on topic K Model Bedford Stuck Clutch
Pierre, Man I don't think I've ever seen a clutch & flywheel in such a crappy condition. No wonder it would'nt release. Looks like lots of TLC will be needed to rectify that. Have you been able to separate the transmission from the engine as yet. I think the spigot bearing & the input shaft will be well & truly glued together. The clutch plate will probably be rusted to the input shaft splines also. Be careful when separating the box from the engine not to damage things, but hopefully the splines will come free without too much effort. Best of luck mate. Cheers Tim ;)

1989 FORD F350 Lariat Crewcab Dually

More
7 years 10 months ago #171535 by Fill
Replied by Fill on topic K Model Bedford Stuck Clutch
Hi Pierre,
I am only a chippy but I think I like the idea of Mrsmackpaul's. Google 'molasses rust removal' videos.
I have done a bit and was very impressed.
Cheer Fill

More
7 years 10 months ago #171537 by Pierre
Tim, no not yet. I've got limited under cover storage space at the moment so that will have to wait a while.
Plan is to work on sanding down the chassis working from the rear - forward & painting with KBS brush on Chassis Coatings.

Fill, I've used a combination of the electrolysis & molasses methods with all the parts I've stripped off so far.
Happy with both processes, but getting rid of the molasses solution is the only concern in suburbia.

I'll start another post with photos & progress so far.

cheers
Pierre

Pierre

More
7 years 10 months ago #171539 by Dave_64
Tried either spraying your molasses/rusty metal residue on your garden/lawn/nature strip? If got too much, try palming it off to the neighbours? Every time I have a batch ready to turf out, I mix whatever the solution is with 50/50 water and give EVERYTHING a good dose! Garden/lawn LUV it!
Dave_64
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pierre

Time to create page: 0.506 seconds