Skip to main content

Chassis Bolts

More
9 years 8 months ago #148422 by JBran
Chassis Bolts was created by JBran
So I have been reading up on replacing chassis rivets with bolts, on another topic a couple of pages over, which I'm going to have to do as my trucks chassis has some rusty cross members which will need some work. (I tapped one with a punch, just in my hand, and it went through!!)

I have been searching the web, and there doesn't seem to be many places that stock the high tensile flange type bolts most suited to this application. Does anyone know of any good places around Adelaide, or on the web that you can get chassis bolts? Would a visit to Mack Parts, or CMV or Damiler trucks produce results?

Cheers guys! :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 8 months ago #148423 by dieseldog
Replied by dieseldog on topic Re: Chassis Bolts
Flanged bolts are simply a bolt and washer in one piece. I use high tensile bolts with hardened flat washers, both zinc plated. A normal flat washer will crush under the bolt head but a hardened washer will spread the clamping force over the whole surface area.

When you tighten them up, tension them to the proper torque for the bolt size, but come back every day and retorque it until the bolt stays tight. By doing this, you will stretch the bolt until its got no more stretch left, for that tension, and it won't back off by itself.

More
9 years 8 months ago #148424 by raymond m
Replied by raymond m on topic Re: Chassis Bolts
JBran, in the past, when trucks used bolts in chassis members, the bolt holes were drilled slightly undersize and the holes reamed to a precision fit, when rivets are fitted they expand in the hole with the hammering, even when done cold, so making a tight fastening. However I doubt you will be putting your job back into hard service so do it like dieseldog says. Is that old "Superpoise" Commer your project?? they were quite a nice little truck in their day.Same engine as the "Humber Super Snipe" and "Humber Pullman" car

More
9 years 8 months ago #148425 by darrylAR160
Replied by darrylAR160 on topic Re: Chassis Bolts
any international truck dealer will usually have chassis bolts

Time to create page: 0.453 seconds