Skip to main content

6v53 reassemble

More
7 years 8 months ago #173989 by wedgetail84
Replied by wedgetail84 on topic 6v53 reassemble
Thanks Guys, I've got a pretty good idea of where I'm going with the puller now I think. Sounds like a few sips will definitely help tough...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #174483 by wedgetail84
Well cobbled up a puller and got one of the donors out. Gave it a 5 second hone and it looks a much better prospect, OEM too... Marks look worse due to the flash but I can't feel any with my nail. Struggling with getting a cross hatch with my hand held hone though - when I slow the drill down there's not enough centripetal force for the stones to do anything. Any ideas?

the hole is a slot that's why it looks off centre

Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by wedgetail84.

More
7 years 7 months ago #174497 by 600Dodge
Replied by 600Dodge on topic 6v53 reassemble
The christmas tree type ball hones are easier to get a cross hatch with just move it up and down faster while its spinning in the bore.

More
7 years 7 months ago #174504 by wedgetail84
Yeah I know the ones, thing is I've got a three stone hone and was hoping I wouldn't need to buy another... How important is a 45* cross hatch?

More
7 years 7 months ago #174508 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic 6v53 reassemble
Does yours have a round, knurled nut on a thread with a spring under it? (or did you already do that up tight?)

The spring should do all the work. I only run mine quite slowly.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
7 years 7 months ago #174513 by Skipjack
Replied by Skipjack on topic 6v53 reassemble
Wedge, if you're using a properly set three stone hone, you should have to compress the hone in order to insert it into the liner. The spring pressure against the stones should be such that you don't have to rely on centrifugal force. If yours is loose in the bore when the spring is tight, your hone may not be big enough for the job. As Jarrod wrote, check adjustment and go from there. If the spring pressure is right, slow speed and the appropriate up and down motion will give you a good crosshatch. If the hone is loose in the bore and you increase drill speed to contact the liner wall with the stones, you'll get an uneven hone.

Mark

More
7 years 7 months ago #174858 by wedgetail84
Thanks guys, pretty dumb not to realise that...

Anyway got all six liners out, all look pretty good except one, had a bit more pitting than the rest. After a bit of high speed honing it was all out but now still has visible staining, but can't feel it at all. What do you think.

And here's my attempt at cr0ss hatching another, better than before... Maybe even could have sped the drill up a bit

More
7 years 7 months ago #174861 by Skipjack
Replied by Skipjack on topic 6v53 reassemble
Wedge, that middle pic shows just what you want for crosshatch. If you get 'em all like that, you're golden. Clever shot, by the way - through the port. Gotta have a two-stroke to do that without a bore scope.

More
7 years 7 months ago #174865 by wedgetail84
thanks skipjack yeah I was quite pleased with that shot - took a couple of tries... What do you thinking of the rust staining in the first pic? It doesn't really want to hone out but I can't feel it at all

• Chocs
7 years 7 months ago #174866 by Chocs
Replied by Chocs on topic 6v53 reassemble
Have you priced all the individual components to get this rocket back together?
As opposed to 6 kits?
Of course you would miss out on all the fun of refurbishing stuff though;

Time to create page: 0.506 seconds