Skip to main content

More Restorations,please!

More
7 years 4 months ago #177376 by Dave_64
Hi All,
Probably like a lot of others on these forums, I look at a lot of the restoration projects, in fact it is usually one of the first postings I go to.
Seeing as we are right in the middle of the 'silly season', I suppose it's only natural for some resto's to be put on the back burner.
So, if you are halfway through a restoration, how about some progressive photos? Doesn't matter if it's an F100 or a 352 Peterbilt, a lot of us not only pick up a few good clues, but sometimes some of us even have the fire rekindled simply by following other peoples projects!
Cheers, Dave_64

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 4 months ago #177379 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic More Restorations,please!
Just as a bit of an addendum to the above, was chatting on the phone to a long time Historical member and we were kicking around an old topic, not really a bone of contention, but more a bit of an observation.
This particular member has always been a keen restorer of both motor vehicles (trucks) as well as old machinery. He was telling me about his interstate trips (he is also retired) sussing out bits and pieces. I have to add, this bloke has been doing this most of his adult life, when not working.
Anyway, I was quizzing him about a few of the pitfalls when looking for a likely project. He pointed out a few, what I thought, were commonsense approaches to anyone contemplating a restoration undertaking. Not necessarily in order, but things along the line of, budget constraints (if any, and a lot of us have), availability of replacement parts, be they either new, used, second hand etc. Is the project viable? How much space do you have, (start pulling something apart and the living room quickly fills!), do you honestly think that you have sufficient expertise to accomplish what you thought was a grand idea before you emptied your wallet? He cited a few cases where blokes have really taken on too much and only ended up with an empty purse and a half finished project. Then tried to unload it on someone else, because it became too hard. He added that he had lost count of how many times he had searched for something or other, finally tracking down what he thought may be something of value, only to find that when he was prepared to travel to look at something, all too often it had been misrepresented. You only have to go through the 'For Sale' magazines, be they either hardcopy or online, see something written up as "Restorers Dream" or "Vintage/Veteran, maybe only a half dozen in captivity", you know what I mean. What was the old Latin saying, "Let the buyer beware"?
I have also noted when going through some (not all!) clearance sales, that an agent or whoever will make an over-exaggeration when it comes to what some may think of as a "bargain of a lifetime". Then you see a photo, or know someone who may have attended the auction, or sale, and reports back that it was a rusting heap of scrap that has been mouldering in some paddock and hasn't been run for thirty years! Just as one example, I contacted a bloke in NSW who had something I may have been interested in, saw his ad in one of those "JUST" magazines, advertised as 'good going order'. When I started quizzing him a bit, and said that I was interstate and IF it was in the condition he advertised it, he at least told me that, 'well before you jump in your car and come and have a look, I should tell you it WAS in good going order when I parked it there ten years ago'. So, at least he was reasonably straight with me and saved me a trip, I suppose.
People advertising on behalf of others, although very well intentioned, can also lead you astray unwittingly. I rang up a person, not all that long ago, enquiring about a 'deceased estate'. She had her late father's particular truck for sale, she had been told that it was 'very rare' (she was asking top dollar for it) and seemed to be quite put out when I informed her that they were not exactly hen's teeth and although being in the veteran class , it was simply not even worth while travelling a couple of hours to even have a look at it.
So, I suppose, the bottom line is probably ANYTHING is only worth what you as the BUYER, are willing to pay for it. Sure, no doubt there are a few genuine sellers, as well as genuine buyers, out there. Often, the odd bargain will actually appear. Again, bottom line may well be that if you aren't willing to meet the price, don't bitch about it.
Anyway, like I said, not having a shot at ANYONE. Have seen some vehicles restored on this forum which may seem quite pricey (or out of my range), but in about 99% of cases I can appreciate the amount of work that has gone into them. IF it's too pricey, you can't afford it anyway.
Just my slant on it.
Dave_64
The following user(s) said Thank You: SweetDave

More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #177381 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic More Restorations,please!
"Deceased estate" was why I'm looking for brake components for my Austin truck. Being acquired at a clearance sale AND knowing there was little information about the many vehicles involved you have to be wary. Occasionally we do tend to make spur of the moment decisions though . . .
The thing that really hurt was the sale also had the remains of a second Austin listed; no engine, gearbox, or tailshaft, no seats or tray, only one window left in it (not the windscreen), and sitting on four wheels out of the six. No one even felt inclined to put a bid on it apparently and the auctioneer said later I could have it thrown in with the one I bought!

What a shame I couldn't take it - that would have cost me even more to get it home (the first one cost almost twice as much to have it transported as I had bid) plus I knew I would be struggling to allocate space for one, let alone two trucks; also, and more importantly, wife was none to pleased I had even bid on the first one. :whistle:
No doubt the deceased had intended using the second parts vehicle to fix the one I bought??? If I had only known.
Mind you, I'm progressing with it (slowly) though. :unsure:
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by PDU. Reason: Found picture following day (didn't even realise I had!)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
7 years 4 months ago #177400 by Southbound
Dave, I agree about looking before buying a project. Always better to go for a long drive than throw money down the toilet! :pinch:

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.

More
7 years 4 months ago #177427 by ChainDrive
The following user(s) said Thank You: PDU

More
7 years 4 months ago #177476 by Blackduck59
Resto with mods
Finally got the dash/windscreen back together.
Was going to cost as much to run cable speedo as buying the VDO electronic so just changed the whole dash to electronic.
Made a new gearshift tower, the original was to heavy after shortening the stick.
New carpet has arrived so the interior can now be finalised
Chassis blasted and 2 pack, cab back to bare metal and 2 pack.
Wiring completely redone, set up for twin alternators and batteries.
Engine and gearbox changed, diff rebuilt with new gears and just about everything else renewed or rebuilt.
1986 F350 Dual cab, dual rear wheels with Cummins 5.9 and RTO610. Changed from LH to RH drive.
Hope to get it registered within 2 months.
Cheers Steve

More
7 years 4 months ago #177478 by d23j
Replied by d23j on topic More Restorations,please!
I am interested in what you did with the gearshif tower, I have looked at some repowers with hard shifting.. Any better photos? How much travel do you have on the stick?

More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #177479 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic More Restorations,please!
Here are my current two.

1942 Dodge Half Ton Weapon Carrier.

What I want it to look like.

And 1946 Dodge Ute

This is what I am aiming at (American back on this one but the rest is the same);

Lang
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Lang.

More
7 years 4 months ago #177485 by Blackduck59
d23j.
Made up a shorter shift tower out of steel, did not trust my welding of cast if I had cut the tower down.
Just shortened the stick below the ball and reground to the same profile as original.
Cut about 25mm of the stick.
Only real problem is it made the movement across the gate a little wide, across the gears it is about 300/380mm. Can measure it if you like.
RoadRangers are easy as the tower is separate from the top of the box.
Better than some of the U Tube videos of guys with the full length sticks in F series/Dodge/Chev etc. Gear knob is around head height.
Cheers Steve

More
7 years 4 months ago #177486 by d23j
Replied by d23j on topic More Restorations,please!
Thanks for the reply, I cut one down and it had trouble getting reverse. Where are you I would love to have a look, regards Andrew

Time to create page: 0.536 seconds