Skip to main content

Delco fuel pump issue

More
7 years 3 months ago #178612 by fjwb
Delco fuel pump issue was created by fjwb
I've just purchased a 1969 TK Bedford with the 214 petrol. Does anyone have an exploded diagram of the delco fuel pump for this model? Currently has a fuel pump issue where not enough leverage is being obtained to pump fuel when attached to the motor. The pump is the correct part for the model. The pump works fine on the bench but does have some free play in the lever which could mean excessive wear or something broken inside the pivot mechanism (what is the specification?) If the pump is ok this would mean the eccentric on the camshaft must be worn and not providing enough movement. I haven't had a chance to measure the eccentric movement but i'm leaning more towards a breakage within the pump mechanism. The fact the truck is in a no run condition, with no fuel being delivered at all would also make me think something broke causing a stoppage rather than something slowly wearing out. curious if anyone else has experienced something similar with one of these pumps. Either way an electric fuel pump will get it running for now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cam245

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 months ago #178615 by oldgmc
Replied by oldgmc on topic Delco fuel pump issue
There's one quick remedy, make a blank off plate for the hole in the block and fit an electric pump near the tank, just had fuel pump problems with my Inter drove me bats, a Goss electric fuel pump from your local parts shop and helps with hot weather vaporisation too

Old trucks will make you poor but not unhappy

More
7 years 3 months ago #178623 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic Delco fuel pump issue
Was this an existing problem when you picked up the truck?
Have to be careful when fitting the pump to make sure the lever is on the right side of the cam.
Does this fuel pump have a spacer between the pump and the block?
Cheers Steve

More
7 years 3 months ago #178627 by fjwb
Replied by fjwb on topic Delco fuel pump issue
The truck is in really good condition, but hasn't been used for 10 years. The previous owner bought it not running. This makes me think this fuel pump issue may have been the problem that ended its use. The pump is contacting the cam in the correct location, there are no spacers. Engine was apparently recoed not long before it stopped being used. Starts and runs great manually adding fuel down the carby. I will be fitting an electric pump to overcome the issue but it would be good to get to the bottom of the problem.

More
7 years 3 months ago #178629 by Blackduck59
Ok
With the cam at maximum lift and pump unbolted you should be able to feel the pump stroking as you push against the cam.
If not you maybe right there is an issue with the pump but they are normally pretty bullet proof
Cheers Steve

More
7 years 3 months ago #178644 by Aussiehooker
Replied by Aussiehooker on topic Delco fuel pump issue
im with Black Duck because the spacer or spacers will move the pump in or out altering adjusting the leverage of the camsheft on the pump //longer or shorter stroke cheers don

More
7 years 3 months ago #178664 by Blackduck59
Have you checked the line back to the tank for blockages or cracks letting air in?

More
7 years 3 months ago #178671 by fjwb
Replied by fjwb on topic Delco fuel pump issue
Everything else is fine, just the pump isn't pumping, we spent yesterday completely dismantling the fuel pump and have completely removed all wear with the strategic use of silver solder. Refitted pump and still no joy, so it points to cam eccentric inside the motor. An electric fuel pump has solved the problem for now and it's now running. I'm almost 100% positive that this issue is what ended the trucks career, because everything else is in such good condition.

More
7 years 3 months ago #178675 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Delco fuel pump issue
The only way,( besides pushing the arm against the cam) that I can think of to see what the cam / pump stroke is like is : putting only the bottom half of the pump on the motor with the diaphragm still in it, but nothing else, and watch to see if the diaphragm moves.....
Never done it, but should work, in theory?

Assuming it's the original / correct pump.....

Congrats on getting it going. :)

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #178748 by cam245
Replied by cam245 on topic Delco fuel pump issue
There are two types of Delco fuel pumps for the 214.

They look similar but one has a long lever and the other a short one and they aren't interchangeable.

Like these. If there has been and engine swap at some stage that will confuse the issue.

Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by hayseed. Reason: inserted Pics
The following user(s) said Thank You: fjwb

Time to create page: 0.506 seconds