Skip to main content

Ram assisting Armstrong steering

More
6 years 3 months ago #190542 by jeffo

I see Hyundai did a recall, wonder how many accidents went unreported.
A bloke I know in WA said his would lock dead ahead at 110 to 120.
Hyundai workshop said he shouldn't be driving that fast !!!.
Man did that go down well, car scored a complete new steering assembly and he got a big apology.
Every time I see a Hyundai on a tilt tray, front all stoved in, I wonder ????
Nearly all small/medium cars these days have electronic power steer. Only one that scores poorly is Hyundai. They would be the most popular make on the road too.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #190546 by jon_d
missus old 2003 opel barina.

Nice to drive, absolutely crappy electronics; probably caused by the German engineer mounting the ecu module above the exhaust header.

A common conversion is an isuzu PS box to the Bedford bus. Nice to drive. Easy to turn.

More
6 years 3 months ago #190547 by Lang
I have a mate who builds race cars for customers. Particularly his rally cars get power steering and he mentioned the Barina unit as a cheap and very good modification. He apparently cuts the steering column in a suitable place and puts the electric unit in so you don't even know it is there. Usually a drop off in the morning finished by the afternoon.

Lang

More
6 years 3 months ago #190549 by geoffb
We used to build race cars that the steer had no connection to the rake mechanically only hydraulics like on some fork lifts or similiar

More
6 years 3 months ago #190555 by .RC.
I have a vickers steering ram on my old Caterpillar 922 rear wheel steer loader. The specs say relief valve pressure is set to 500psi. I have rebuilt the ram, not an easy thing as the ram section is welded together, not threaded.

More
6 years 3 months ago #190558 by mercskeepmeinajob
I remember doing a steering and suspension course late 90's where they told us power Steering on just about any small car was now mandatory, due to the drivers input force required to steer a front wheel drive car and with torque steer made it even worser.

I know its only a VBus not one of those great Yankee Iron horses but the new B8 model Volvo bus has a Power Steering box and electric pump sitting under the driver ready for the driver to change direction and hit something. Everything is electric these days the compressor is electric driven as well. The Starter is electric too and has its own batteries to start. They just need to put the overhead wiring on the roads and it would be totally leccy

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #190564 by Dave_64
May have to take that steering box out, fair bit of wear in it, whether it could be rebuilt I don't know. If I have to go to that extreme, may be just a lot easier to do as a few have advised and adapt another type off something like one of the smaller cab over Jap trucks, Isuzu, Toyota or something along those lines. They nearly all mount in the same fashion and have had splines reworked in the past, done properly of course. At least I know they would be available and if ever needed parts would be a damn side easier to get parts for than the original Karrier box.
That's the trouble with tinkering around with some of this earlier stuff, just about everything that I have fitted has had to have been modified or adapted as I go along. Challenging sometimes, but Hey, that's half the fun! It is fun, isn't it??
King pins can always have made, ball joints are not insurmountable, likewise spring bush pins etc.
Just about got the clutch linkage sorted out, what should have been relatively easy became APITA as the original Dodge hydraulic slave cylinder was far too close to the exhaust system, even with a heat shield wouldn't have squeezed it in, so had to mount the throwout lever rod from behind so it pulled instead of pushed, and to further complicate things, was on the wrong side of the bellhousing as well.
Mounted a crossover shaft on two pillow block bearings with another long rod going inside the drivers side chassis rail to the clutch pedal fulcrum point. Complicated pivot points under the drivers floor, but almost there, had to leave enough room for engine oil cooler hoses and also to be able to get to it if ever needed, without dismantling the whole engine!
Engine/driveline just about finished except for clutch rods, tailshaft installed.
Got a bloke chasing up brake slave cylinder parts, already got the twin circuit brake master cylinder here, another adaptation. Small Jap truck vacuum booster can be adapted as well with a remote linkage from the pedal to the booster itself.
Sometimes wonder why I just didn't go out and buy something a lot later model and easier to get parts for. But, being a confirmed tinkerer that would have been far too simple. This project will see me out, if ever it does get finished.
Besides, gotta have something to test the old brain cells out and keep me out of the water hole.
Without belabouring the point, would just like to thank all those who have offered advice, tips, (sometimes just a little outside the square), on this.
I read quite a few overseas forums on modifications, special conversions, things along those lines. Quite often someone who is attempting something a bit out of the ordinary will get blasted out of the water, lambasted as it were, because it doesn't fit with their "off the shelf" rebuilds. haven't found that on this forum, or if it does exist, opinions are pretty well kept to yourselves. Said it before, this forum would be the best that I use for good sound advice, no matter how wacky the questions raised may appear to be. Always have been answered in good spirit, good humour and valuable insight.
Thanks again, Dave
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Dave_64.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
6 years 3 months ago #190565 by Swishy
Kogz
gudday m8

keep in mind with any movement B tween chassis n engine (must B a lil give)
could effect the way the clutch and throttle linkage purr 4m
specially if n U out hoon n lay n sum rubber & do n sum circle work etc
LOL
cya

ยง

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #190566 by Dave_64
Swishy,
taken your advice on board.
Firstly, doubt there would be much circle work involved, (not enough available HP, this is a Perkins designed engine after all!) enough said!
Yes, have thought about the engine "flexing" between linkages and engine. Throttle will be a cable affair, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem there.
Mechanical cross crank on clutch mounted to the chassis, where the rod hooks up to the clutch throwout lever has about 2 & 1/2" (60mm) of travel at the threaded adjusting end, plus a spring to hold it back yet still allow the correct amount of free travel between the throwout bearing face and the clutch diaphragm fingers, (supposed to be between 5-8mm free travel).
If that makes sense!
Thanks, Kogz
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Dave_64.

More
6 years 3 months ago #190571 by tim
Hi all, my KW (1978) cabover has a Garrison ram steering setup on it from new. I had a leak at the ram unit & took it to Hydrosteer in Brooklyn (Melbourne) & had it repaired. Took about 7 or 8 working days to be done, but it came back with no leaks & the best adjustment in all the time that I've had the truck. Instead of 90 degree turns to move the front wheels it was move the steering wheel & the front wheels would move. As Swishy said, the engine needs to be running to get the correct response. Cheers Tim :)

1989 FORD F350 Lariat Crewcab Dually
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

Time to create page: 0.553 seconds