Skip to main content

Lorry gets his new head lining

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #197975 by cobbadog
Hi Guys,
Today I decided to do the new head lining for the roof in Lorry. Since coming to live with us he has not ever had one only the remains of some sponge foam that obviously was a part of the material lining. I decide, rightly or wrongly to use marine carpet. I also used a Gel contact cement by Selleys which proved to be a good decision for overhead use but boy is it strong and you can only work with it for a short time before jumping out and away from the fumes. I am happy with the result but there are some wrinkles that I cannot get out so there they will stay.
Hopefully this will help in 3 things, 1 - appearance, 2 - sound deadening and 3 - heat insulation.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by cobbadog.
The following user(s) said Thank You: roKWiz

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #197990 by Zuffen
You can get rid of the wrinkles by injecting more adhesive through the carpet and pushing up against the roof.

Buy a syringe from the Chemist.

Also I'd move the fire extinguisher closer to the driver as it would be nice to reach it if stuck in your seat and watching a fire happening.

All my vehicles have an extinguisher in arms length of the driver but not where it can end up on the floor under my feet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, roKWiz

More
5 years 3 months ago #198013 by overnite

Zuffen wrote: You can get rid of the wrinkles by injecting more adhesive through the carpet and pushing up against the roof.

Buy a syringe from the Chemist.

Also I'd move the fire extinguisher closer to the driver as it would be nice to reach it if stuck in your seat and watching a fire happening.

All my vehicles have an extinguisher in arms length of the driver but not where it can end up on the floor under my feet.

Or in the back of your head in the case of rollover etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
5 years 3 months ago #198015 by Blackduck59
Second that, secured but easy to reach/remove but not anywhere someone can get a hit in a roll over or a good hit.
Cheers Steve

More
5 years 3 months ago #198023 by cobbadog
Thanks for the tip about using a syringe, it is a good one. As for the fire extinguisher the one in the photo is just about stuffed. It is quite old and the gauge reads below the 'charged' area on the dial so looks like a new one is needed and it will be re positioned.
Thanks again for the help.
Cobba & Cobbarette

More
5 years 3 months ago #198045 by AaronS
This is something I need to do on my C1600 at some point. Seems to be a little daunting though.

More
5 years 3 months ago #198060 by cobbadog
It is NOT daunting once you start. I had reservations about doing it. I carefully measured it up, cut a garden stake to being the width of the cab then cut some small wedges to jamb between the roof holding the carpet up and the strengthening frame jsut below the roof. Wedges fell out within minuytes so kept at it and all was good. Even didn't use the stake. Dee gave me a hand where possible and really once you have the carpet in placestart gluing from one side about a foot across, give it a bit of time to go off and then hold the carpet in place. Being the roof it doesn't take long to go tacky as I used the gel contact cement and the heat on the roof also cured it a bit quicker. I also coated the ribs on the roof then pushed the carpet up and then pulled it away while it was still wet then coated the roof again and a good coating on the carpet. Once I stuck it back together it was there to stay and is why I have those wrinkles on the passengers side. The great suggestion to use a syringe and fix the wrinkles is a good one and when I go back to the chemist next to get "me drugs man" I will hit them up for a suitable needle, one with a big bore.
The difference it has made is bloody amasing. It is cooler and quieter so when I get the sound proofing for the floor Lorry will be a lot more quieter inside and the UHF radio can be turned down in volume and maybe even a proper radio can be installed for our listening pleaseure.

More
5 years 3 months ago #198064 by Blackduck59
Cobba,
I used a bunch of Dynamat then a layer of dual density foam with a Aluminium skin.
Clark rubber has the foam and a 36 sq pack of Dyna Extreme (10455) is going on Fleabay for around 240.
I have near a full sheet of Dyna left after doing the firewall and floor on a F350.
Works well to tame the Cummins rattles and certainly keeps the heat down.
With the Dyna you really need a roller to press it onto the floor. They range in price on EB. Seems the best pricing is from Auto audio suppliers.
Cheers Steve

More
5 years 3 months ago #198068 by oliver1950
Cobbadog a veterinary syringe from a produce store would have a bigger needle than one you will get from a chemist

You can't have too many toys!

More
5 years 3 months ago #198071 by cobbadog
Thanks Vince I will follow that up.

Time to create page: 0.494 seconds