Skip to main content

at4 4 speed gearbox

More
4 years 4 months ago #204676 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic at4 4 speed gearbox
If you can find one of the late truck 318s with the Carter "Super-economy" carb and the ELB ignition ,fuel economy is incredible......good as a Perkins diesel,and heaps more revs and power..................never get caught with one of the Valiant car 318s ,they are a POS , a stroked 273,not a proper 318 at all..........the truck 318 is a HD engine with steel crank,trimetal bearings ,inserted seats,sodium cooled ,rotated valves,and thicker castings....200hp /3400rpm.....also beware of engines where idiots have had cam regrinds ......original cams are very hard to find..

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #204677 by Rattail 1927
Replied by Rattail 1927 on topic at4 4 speed gearbox
This one is for you John, would it be worthwhile trying one of the carter economy carbs in my 610A instead of the 2300 Holley ?
If I had the money I’d definitely insert a Perkins in it , they were an option on the 630A for sure and I think to 610A as well
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Rattail 1927. Reason: Spelling

More
4 years 4 months ago #204680 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic at4 4 speed gearbox
Without trying to hijack the post, or wander off topic as we sometimes tend to do, there was a mob making commercial size tree chippers who used the 318 industrial engine. Seen one and thought it may have been specially made or set up, but owner assured me that that's the way they came out. He bought it 2nd hand in the late sixties he told me, showed me the dashboard with the tacho stop set at 2200 RPM. , oil and water gauges etc.
Had a governor on it, but bloke reckoned it was more for stopping the engine from over revving.
BTW, engine was cooked due to not keeping an eye on water levels, must be a moral there!

More
4 years 4 months ago #204683 by JOHN.K.
Youve got to allow for running with a seized diff......that would have bumped up fuel use a lot.........on the subject of tree loppers ,they aint the brightest lights on the christmas tree.........I rebuilt the motor on a stump grinder for the local tree lopper cost something like $5000 in parts.......he was back again a week later,his idiots had flipped the stump grinder at a roundabout,it landed on the motor.......his best story is trying out a kiwi truck driver,guy wouldnt stop ,kept going faster ,rolled the truck with a bobcat and excavator in the back,broke the owners arm,and the kiwi hit the toe ......he was using his brothers licence...Cops picked him up limping two streets away.

More
4 years 4 months ago #204692 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic at4 4 speed gearbox
Rattail, with the ACCO's, 10 was Petrol, 30 Diesel 6 and 50 Diesel V8. 610A was only petrol
Cheers Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rattail 1927

More
4 years 4 months ago #204696 by Rattail 1927
Replied by Rattail 1927 on topic at4 4 speed gearbox
Thanks black duck , that makes sense now, I knew you could get a Perkins in 610a or 630a , you have enlightened me, Ive been either driving or fixing trailers almost 30 years and I never knew that, admittedly I never had anything to do with smaller trucks , thanks!

More
4 years 4 months ago #204699 by JOHN.K.
A crowd called "Foundrill" had some 8 wheel ACCOs with big pile drilling auger rigs powered by Chrysler 413 industrial motors......very thirsty,but didnt really matter when they were getting something like $1000 for a 10 foot deep hole in clay,and doing a hundred holes on a site........the 413 was two sizes up from the common 361 fitted in Dodge 675 trucks ..361-383-413-427..there were two 383 s with different bores and strokes.

More
4 years 4 months ago #204753 by trucksyd
Replied by trucksyd on topic at4 4 speed gearbox
(rattail) no i didnt even consider tailshaft lengths , i forgot all about it , maybe able to shorten .
i checked out the dodge manual & the power figures for the engines are a gutless -121 hp @ 4000 rpm for the low compression HD 245 hemi .there are 2 variations of the 318 v8 ...the (318/1) is 140hp @ 4000 rpm ,,,the (318/3) is 135 hp @ 3500 rpm ,, & the 6v/53 detroit is 204 hp @ 2800 rpm ,,,,it doesnt state if these are maximum figures.

More
4 years 4 months ago #204761 by JOHN.K.
Dodge ad of the 1970s claims 202hp for the 318.....the 140 is more likely correct.

More
4 years 4 months ago #204801 by trucksyd
Replied by trucksyd on topic at4 4 speed gearbox
Yes they claimed the rt/6 pack charger produced over 300 hp ,but I've heard it's actually closer to 250hp.

Time to create page: 0.589 seconds