Skip to main content

The MightyBoy - is it restoration or Hotrodding?

More
1 year 5 months ago #241002 by Mrsmackpaul
You've done well there
Still amazed at just how can be squeezed into a small hole

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #250037 by Zuffen
A bit over a year has elapsed since I last reported on this madcap venture.

Back in April I had it running and driving really well. it steered, stopped and went well.

I drove from the North of Sydney to the South and managed to destroy a CV joint. It eventuated the drive shaft that was shortened was about 20mm too short so as the vehicle accelerated and rose on the front suspension the joint pulled apart. I was a long way from home so I walked 6k's to Liverpool train station then caught a train to Central, then a train to Chatswood and then a train to Cherrybrook, cost $2.50 as a Senior, where I was collected by one of my son's and driven home. I then towed the trailer back to the car and retrieved it.

Now a sensible person would just fix the axle. No not me.

My son said seeing it goes very quickly why not turbo it. Well I thought long and hard about it and answered instantly, of course we can.

The engine bay is already pretty full so squeezing a turbo and intercooler in there will be interesting. I figured by rolling the engine back at a 9degree tilt there would be room for the turbo with 10mm clearance to the radiator. The intercooler had to go out front as it was just impossible to fit it behind the grille. Of course this necessitated all new engine mounts, custom idle valves and remote oil filtration. At this stage I'm stuck with fitting a windscreen washer bottle, but it will happen.

About this time I blew up the LS3 engine in my Fake Fargo and it took precedence for repairs. It took 6 months for the engine shop to rebuild the engine. I got it back in and running around 3 weeks ago so I then went back to the MightyBoy.

After lots of fiddling around it would run but one of the issues with the broken axle was a clutch problem. No idea what it was but the throwout bearing wouldn't retract. Turns out it had jammed on the bearing carrier.

Today I removed the engine (again) and split the engine/trans and it all looks good and the throwout bearing moves freely so I'll put it back together and see what happens.

The engine is a non-turbo version (we do have a turbo version but it needs a rebuild) so I've swapped a bit of gear onto it and installed the turbo ECU and it seems to run OK.

Hopefully I'll have it back together early next week and we may be able to give it a spin.

I figure it will weigh around 700Kg and have 200horsepwer. It should perform well.

When it was running non-turbo it could keep up with Subaru WRXs at the traffic lights.

It's a blast to drive. Death on wheels.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Gryphon, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, asw120, V8Ian, wee-allis

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #250038 by Morris
Zuffen,
I thought about your Mightyboy project a couple of months ago and thought that as we had heard nothing, it was under covers (or dust, like my projects) and nothing would be heard about it for ages.

As I remember, you were building it for your son, who does not have the mechanical ability, so why did he not come to your rescue to save you the walk, the trains and the $2.50?

It sounds like it will go like SH-one-T off a shovel.  Better you than me.  I hope it will not get you any speeding tickets.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #250044 by mammoth
windscreen washer bottle can go inside the cabin just like the old days. Make it a hand pump to keep the passenger distracted!

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #250047 by oliver1950
We need photos

You can't have too many toys!

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #250050 by Zuffen
Today's Mighty instalment was re-uniting the engine and transmission and sorting a few small issues. One issue was an oil leak from the cam cover that gave the impression the starter solenoid was leaking oil as it ran down some cable to the starter.

I spent two and a half hours installing and tightening two heater hoses and their clamps. Lucky I'm not paid by the hour.

The engine is sitting in the car and I'm chasing a bolt I cut in half yesterday to allow me to complete the install. I've put the word out on Facebook and hopefully will get one tomorrow.

As for speeding fines, I may get one but Lachlan has a get out of jail card. He's a Police Constable! No guarantees but it helps.

Pictures?

[img

[img
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, 180wannabe, cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, Normanby, asw120, wee-allis, oliver1950

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #250059 by Mrsmackpaul
A crazy build but good to read along and very enjoyable read it is

Paul

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #250273 by Zuffen
The little car now runs but hasn't been driven.

After removing and replacing the engine it has 3 oil leaks, all fixable and a coolant leak that is a hose that for some reason is way beyond reach and you would need arms like knitting needles to get in there. At least I'm aware of the problem and I sure I can work a way to fix it.

The engine runs well and has a nice turbo flutter when you back off, so should keep the boy happy.

I had a Hot Rod mate over on the weekend and he suggested looking for a new spot for the intercooler. Like I have space to burn on this project!

This is how it looked on Sunday.

[img

And following a bit of rearranging.

[img

The changes will mean it looks way better and will entail a bit of alloy welding and a few new hose joiners but it's all part of the fun.

One day it will run and drive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, asw120, wee-allis, oliver1950

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #250275 by Mrsmackpaul
I dunno how you fitted all this in there, a shoe horn and a tub of Vaseline comes to mind
Really impressive

Paul

The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, wee-allis

Time to create page: 0.472 seconds