Skip to main content

Dodge AT4 Brake Vacuum System

More
3 years 10 months ago #211158 by Zuffen
I fitted an electric vacuum pump to our Lancia 037 and used an aluminium surge tank as a resevoir.

Worked very well. No too well. The car would lock the brakes on so I disconnected it and run without boost. The car only weighs 700Kg so no problem stopping it.

So in answer yes they do work well and are fairly quiet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Magpiesn5

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago #211160 by Magpiesn5
Thanks Zuffan

More
3 years 10 months ago #211180 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Dodge AT4 Brake Vacuum System
Magpie, every perk powered truck had one or the other, has you truck been robbed or is the perk out of a tractor or something similar. I would have thought any truck wrecker would have a perk with a vacuum pump. But I have not needed to try and find one yet.

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Magpiesn5

More
3 years 10 months ago #211417 by Magpiesn5
Hi Sarge,
Not sure the back story but yes my truck Perk is missing the exhauster. I have chased down a few wreckers and have learned that not all exhausters are the same size there is a Dot 1 and a Dot 2. Getting close now to sourcing one now.

More
3 years 10 months ago #211419 by JOHN.K.
As I mentioned before ,there are two different size mounting pads on the block........however ,a compressor can be used as an exhauster ,without ant modification at all.......just connect the inlet up to the vac tank ,and you can either run the outlet to air (it will be a little bit noisy) or plumb it into the intake pipe.........Incidentally,make sure you get the drive couplings complete,they are very expensive to buy new.

More
3 years 10 months ago #211446 by Magpiesn5
Hi John,
Thanks for the info i will look into your suggestion further.

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #211451 by JOHN.K.
OK ,per the manual ....mounting pads are 2" high x 2- 5/8" long .....this is the common IH AB/C/D line type for an exhauster .........Alternative pad is 2-1/2" high X 2-3/4" long .....this is the compressor type ,and if your motor is a pommy aftermarket import ,it will have this size .........exhausters do exist for this size ,but are very rare ,and this size generally had the single cylinder Clayton 6 cfm compressor mounted ,with a more substantial drive coupling...........My AB had one of these blocks ,and I used the compressor as an exhauster......no problems........NOTE...dimensions given are mounting bolt centres.
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by JOHN.K..
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Magpiesn5

More
3 years 10 months ago #211452 by JOHN.K.
Dunno if anyone remembers Domino Industries Group....(DIG)............but they would regularly have bargain sales of Perkins blocks ....actually 6-354 short motors with crank ,rods ,pistons ,cam ...all new for around $400.......they would also have fours like the 4-203 and 4-236 for a couple of hundred .....great days for a perk powered truck when owners of foreign trucks were paying like $30,000 for camshaft replacements ,a new long silver perk for $800.....

More
3 years 10 months ago #211453 by Magpiesn5
Thanks John,
I will have to measure up the bolt centres.
When you were using the single cylinder compressor did you have a water cooled head on the compressor that you had to hook up?

More
3 years 10 months ago #211459 by JOHN.K.
Nope ,all air cooled ....all the Claytons are ,the water cooled are either Westinghouse or Italian sourced stuff as on the Ford /Iveco Cargo s.

Time to create page: 0.484 seconds