Skip to main content

1965 F250’s Rejuvenation

More
3 years 2 months ago #218982 by Urchy87
Replied by Urchy87 on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
JOHN.K. These valves are Sealed Power Engine (SPE). They look like stainless. Would these be an aftermarket valve or potentially the type you were referring to which can’t be rescued? The head gaskets was fiber/metal.

Sorry Oilman, thought you were referring to lapping, there is a cross over in terms when I’ve been researching it (all of this is new to me).

Pierre, good luck with yours. Haven’t looked into the type of head gasket I will use. Probably just whatever the local place gets in. If I use a sealant I’ll keep you informed. The stuff Lang spoke of sounds to be worth a try if I can source it.

Morris, thanks for the info. If I get time after cleaning it all up today I will try lapping these valves anyway. If they turn out to be the ones which can’t be rescued I’ve only lost some time.

Adventure before Dementia.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 months ago #218984 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
They should be OK for a clean up face on a grinder ....if the truck isnt being used for heavy work ,the application isnt critical .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Urchy87

More
3 years 2 months ago #218985 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
From what saw in the picture the valves did not look bad enough to need grinding.

Hylomar is available at Repco and no doubt other suppliers as well. It is available in spraycan (my preference) or paste.

If you can get new valves for a couple of dollars each, I would go for them.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
3 years 2 months ago #218992 by Urchy87
Got a bit sorted out today, head and pistons cleaned up. I’m heading to the nearest major Centre tomorrow (Toowoomba) and rang around for the required intake valve. No one has one and they want a sample for ordering. Asked want they would charge to touch these valve faces up, $32 so I will just get them to do it. Hopefully it will make it easier to lap them.

Did a couple comparisons for cleaning the head chambers have them pictured below. Poly wheel, scourer and WD40 then just the wire brush (forgot to add it to the image). I felt the wire brush with a quick once over with WD40 and the scourer worked best.

The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

More
3 years 2 months ago #218999 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
I have been using one of those spray cans of head gasket sealer. It is a copper colour and as Lang said is a bit tacky but it done the job. I rmember using the original old silver frost paint, the one that weighed a ton in the can because of the aluminium inside it, again don't know if it ever did any good but it certainly didn't hurt anything.
Say gday to my baby sisters when you go to town in Onewoomba as I call it. IT is a lovely town/city which ever you like to call it.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
3 years 2 months ago #219001 by Urchy87
Will do cobbadog. Might be some confused ladies but if I say it to enough of them I might just find her. It’s still 2.5hrs from me so when I go I try to spend the day there and get everything I can do done. It is a pretty good place. Has everything I’ve ever needed.

More
3 years 2 months ago #219005 by Blackduck59
Sealer depends on the head gasket you get, some are designed NOT to use sealer. will just have to see what instructions come with the gasket.
Cheers Steve

More
3 years 2 months ago #219011 by geoffb

More
3 years 2 months ago #219013 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
Another good reason for using Hylomar is because it is sticky, gaskets can be put in place in any position before mating up without falling off or moving. Almost any other stuff such as silicon, silver paint, aviation gasket goo etc can really annoy you with gaskets sliding or falling off while going through the mating dance.

Lang

More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #219019 by wee-allis
Alarm bells ringing here! Don't buy a new intake valve Urchy unless you want a spare. The burnt valve in your head is an exhaust valve.
Just a thought Steve.
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by wee-allis.

Time to create page: 0.670 seconds