Skip to main content

1965 F250’s Rejuvenation

More
3 years 1 month ago #219820 by Urchy87
Replied by Urchy87 on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
Cheers Mrsmackpaul. I sprayed some WD40 on it which seemed to help. I’ll have to get a tin of it to put on the shelf for future use.

Adventure before Dementia.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 1 month ago #219821 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
Years ago I picked up a power hacksaw blade about 25mm wide and snaped it into a nice short length of around 150mm long and then ground an angle on the end. This tough little bastard has done years of work as a scraper even a chisel in desperation and has lasted and worked so well.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Urchy87

More
3 years 1 month ago #219824 by Blackduck59
With you Cobba, have the same size blade installed in a Stanley Knife body. Must have had it over 50 years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Urchy87

More
3 years 1 month ago #219847 by Urchy87
I used a scraper which you put a Stanley knife blade in, worked ok. Sprayed some in WD40 last night it came off rather easy this morning.

Lapped the valves today also. The exhaust valves only have a reasonably small surface area but I did confirm it is the entire face of the seat. See images below for the valve and corresponding seat. Hope to put it together tomorrow. May even get it back on the block if I can track down a torque wrench. Do you just use water for the leak test? I see some people say you should use diesel or kero.

Thanks.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 1 month ago #219850 by Mrsmackpaul
Of only heard of petrol been used
I wouldn't use water as it will rust within a few hours and might bugger.up a surface and stop it sealing properly

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 1 month ago #219856 by Blackduck59
Did you Blue the seats or just go by the lap marks?
I Blue after lapping, do not turn the valve on the seat. Just bang the valve onto the seat and pull out and inspect the marks.
I use Petrol to double check the seal.
Cheers Steve

More
3 years 1 month ago #219866 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
Agree Petrol only as it is very thin and will get through gaps that diesel would seal.

More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #219868 by Urchy87
Cheers, I’ll use petrol.

Blackduck59 I wasn’t going to blue them and I doubt they would have any in town. All surfaces seem to be lapped evenly. If it passes the leak test I was just going to go for it with fingers crossed.

Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Urchy87.

More
3 years 1 month ago #219897 by Urchy87
Well the head is all but ready to go back on. Call it beginners luck but the valves seated well. Over a 5 minute period 2 had a small weep. I used petrol and gave all ports a blast with compressed air at the end to check for bubbles, not one was to be seen.

Fingers crossed tomorrow I will put it all back together. There is a small amount of tidy up work to do on the head before so e.g clean all of the oil return holes.

Using a Fel-Pro gasket kit, they declare no product to be used to stick or hold the gasket in place as it will damage the gasket material and say for them to only go on dry, so I guess that’s what I will do.

All going to plan it should be firing on all cylinders instead of the 5 when I first got it as of tomorrow afternoon.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul

More
3 years 1 month ago #219899 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
Good luck. So much attention to detail, should be no problems . . . ;)

Time to create page: 0.546 seconds