Skip to main content

KS5 (??) International Truck

More
3 years 1 month ago #220003 by IHC150
Hi all,
Just picked up a KS5 Inter with a US cab (Chicago) and checked the ID plate on the inside passenger side kick panel and I was surprised to see that instead of having an ID number starting with KS5 it instead has one starting with HF-#####. The truck looks and is spec'd like a KS5 with a 2 speed diff and the low frills cab without the bling the KB models had (eg no chrome trim on grill etc). Can anyone shed light on what the HF prefix in the ID number signifies? Is it something to do with being a hire purchase model? Cheers Lawrie
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 1 month ago #220005 by 180wannabe
G'day Lawrie,

From my remaining records of the KS5 i had, it appears mine had 2 ID plates.

The larger plate had - model KS 5-233 / 159
- Chassis No. KS 5-19043R
- max capacity 85 CWT
- etc., etc.

The smaller plate - Model IIF 90289
- Manufactured by IHC etc., etc.

Well i read it as IIF rather than HF, but maybe i read it wrong? Either way, i'm wondering if the number in question is a cab/body number?

I can't see anything about it in the owners manual, other than a place on the first page to write your trucks specific serial numbers.

Sorry i can't give you anything more definite. Brett.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHC150

More
3 years 1 month ago #220008 by IHC150
Replied by IHC150 on topic KS5 (??) International Truck
Thanks for the info Brett, it's proven helpful.

I went and had a look at another KS5 cab I have here and found the place where the smaller plate used to be. That cab has the larger ID plate but I never noticed that there may have been a second plate on that cab. I can see the 4 holes where the rivets secured the plate and it's lower down on the panel.

On the cab of the truck I picked up on the weekend the smaller plate with the HF##### is there, but the larger plate is not there and there is no sign of any rivet holes for the larger plate.

I'm going with your theory that the smaller plate may be a cab/body number and for some reason the second larger plate which would have the chassis number/wheelbase/MTOW etc may have never been fitted to the recently acquired cab for some reason. I looked all over inside the cab just in case it was fitted in a different place but no sign of another plate or telltales of one that might have been removed anywhere.

Cheers Lawrie

More
3 years 1 month ago #220023 by IHScout
A lot of the K5's saw military service so it's possible the HF numbering was related to that.

Dennis
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHC150

Time to create page: 0.483 seconds