Skip to main content

Diff change over

More
3 years 1 month ago #220124 by Inter-Action
Can some one tell me if the diff out of a 1971 C1500 will fit my AB150. I am chasing a higher ratio. The AB is 6.6 and the
C1500 is 4.30. Can i change just the centre or do i need to change the whole diff and is that done without to much trouble.
The 1500 is on 7.50 tyres and i am hoping to fit 8.25 x 20 , so if i am changing housing hub to hub, is the stud pattern the same.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 1 month ago #220128 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Diff change over
The 4.3 centre should fit your AB housing .......the 4.3 has bigger gears nad the mounting hole in the housing is notched top and bottom.......if your housing has notches in the circle ,then it will fit.........The hubs should have the 5 stud Budd wheel ....and 20" five stud wheels from a 160 will fit ......note the 162s and 164s have 6 stud wheels........i think a 4.3 plus 8.25 s will be a bit much for a 281 motor........but I know 7.50s are hard to find.

More
3 years 1 month ago #220141 by Inter-Action
Replied by Inter-Action on topic Diff change over
Thanks for the reply John. I was hoping to use the existing 20'' wheels on my AB which has the gold 240 motor. But. As you point
out the 4.3 and 20'' wheels may not be a good combination. The C1500 is only for parts as the body is a bit far gone to repaint.
What ratio diff should i be looking for to suit the AB. I have purchased a full set of brand new 8.25 x 20 tyres for the truck. The AB is only going to be used occationally on the highway with little or no load . I did look into fitting a o/d 5 speed but that got to hard and expensive. Open to any ideas as to what will be the best combination. Thanks again.

More
3 years 1 month ago #220143 by JOHN.K.
if you ve got the bits,Id certainly give it a go.......and I can guarantee you wont be needing any overdrive boxes.

More
3 years 1 month ago #220158 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Diff change over
There's a complete 4.88 rear axle at my place, if Ipswich is possible. I had a bloke in Gatton tell me his AB150 went OK with 4.88 and 20's.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
3 years 1 month ago #220159 by JOHN.K.
The army had a lot of c1500s with the 4.33 axle.......the trucks would regularly top 70 mph ,and used to race the Dodge 400s that would do similar speeds on the long flat stretches going up to Shoalwater Bay.

More
3 years 1 month ago #220174 by Inter-Action
Replied by Inter-Action on topic Diff change over
Thanks for the replies. I will get the AB150 going and see how it drives. I will fit the 8.25' s as i have already bought them.The bigger
tyre may give it a bit more speed , but with the 6.6 diff it should still pull ok. I have bought a C1500 complete truck and will be stripping it for parts and diff if needed. Cab exterior is not much good but inside is like new. It has sat under a pine tree for the last 8 years. ? Say no more. I do have a C1100 4x4 chassis and front diff coming up for sale later this year. Body is stuffed. Motor and g/box included. I will be keeping the transfer case.

Time to create page: 0.467 seconds