Skip to main content

318 Dodge engine

More
14 years 2 months ago #22942 by Old AB
318 Dodge engine was created by Old AB
Hi all. Just looked at a 318 Dodge engine and found the IH symbol on the left hand side of the block. Did International make these blocks for Dodge, Or is this a botch up? Where do i find the engine number? Looked on RH side near fuel pump like on my 345 but is not there. Any suggestions welcome . ... :) :) Tony :) :)

Keep old inters alive.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #22943 by kennymopar2
Replied by kennymopar2 on topic Re: 318 Dodge engine
what car or truck is the 318 out of ?
ive heard the following but i dont personally know others may be of more help International harvester used some slant 6 and 318 V8s in industrial things like combine harvesters.

More
14 years 2 months ago #22944 by Old AB
Replied by Old AB on topic Re: 318 Dodge engine
Thanks Kenny, Believe the engine is out of a 1968 AT4 Dodge. But that might not be its where it originated. Has a torqueflight 904 automatic hooked up to it. Makes me think it originaly was in a car? Valiant, Dodge, Crysler, not sure. Does have IH on the block and a casting number. .... Tony.

Keep old inters alive.

More
14 years 2 months ago #22945 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: 318 Dodge engine
IH were casting there own V8 engines at Geelong from around 1970. They certainly had the capacity there to do it and were dealing with Dodge.
Interesting.

More
14 years 2 months ago #22946 by kennymopar2
on the engine there should be something like 318-1 318-3 cast in the engine block..that should tell you its origins

More
14 years 2 months ago #22947 by Hardtopman
Replied by Hardtopman on topic Re: 318 Dodge engine
International did cast these engines for chrysler in the later years. I have one i pulled out of a 1977 CL Valiant and it showed the car engine number on it but also having 318-3 on the side. Engine number will be on left hand side rear above starter motor. There is a pad there just next to bell housing. A car motor will start with the number A221 or A224 where a truck motor could start with A611 or A613 or A634 or A635 or A636 depending on what size truck it was out of. After this will be a Letter and then a bunch of numbers. The letter shows what year it was built with A being 1970 so for example A221D####
A = A series engine
2 = 318
2 = standard performance
1 = auto trans
D = 1973
#### = engine number

There will also be a casting number on side with ########318-# ( last number could be 1 to 4). and also the casting date is on the block too as well as day or night shift.

More
14 years 2 months ago #22948 by Old AB
Replied by Old AB on topic Re: 318 Dodge engine
Thanks all. Have been so helpfull. Found engine nunber. Was thrown of the track by the IH emblem on the block though. Great to be here and learn new things every day. ...... Tony

Keep old inters alive.

More
14 years 2 months ago #22949 by salesguy
Replied by salesguy on topic Re: 318 Dodge engine

International did cast these engines for chrysler in the later years.

Hardtopman - are you sure about this ? I thought that the later 318s all came from Brazil. I would be very surprised if there would have been enough volume for anyone to bother to make 318s in Australia in the late 70s.

But, as Swishy says - I do stand to be corrected...

1971 Dodge AT4 690H &&1961 Imperial Crown Coupe

More
14 years 2 months ago - 14 years 2 months ago #22950 by Hardtopman
Replied by Hardtopman on topic Re: 318 Dodge engine

International did cast these engines for chrysler in the later years.

Hardtopman - are you sure about this ? I thought that the later 318s all came from Brazil. I would be very
surprised if there would have been enough volume for anyone to bother to make 318s in Australia in the late 70s.

But, as Swishy says - I do stand to be corrected...

I didn't think any Chrysler V8s were cast here full stop. Like i said the one i have has a 1977 casting date and was in a 1977 CL Valiant with the IH logo on the block.
Last edit: 14 years 2 months ago by Hardtopman.

More
14 years 2 months ago #22951 by kennymopar2
havnt the 318s and 361s sold here have the casting dates in the block ..."in american" that is the month and date in reverse . . that should answer a few ?

Time to create page: 0.462 seconds