Skip to main content

8V71 - Diesel in the oil...

More
1 month 4 days ago #251305 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic 8V71 - Diesel in the oil...
I tried dye in the fuel for one of the compressors ..6v71 ......cant even recall what it was all about now...........all the GMs ended up on the scrapheap as soon as the free fuel was shut off at the refinery.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 month 3 days ago #251316 by Blackduck59
Many times with injector/crossover fuel leaks we found them after a good hot run, the leak would wash the oil off and there would be a dry patch below the leak. The heated dried off the Diesel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, overlander, PaulFH

More
1 month 3 days ago #251318 by cobbadog
Some old tractors can leak diesel from the pump into tye sump plus from a mechanic pump as well

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
1 month 2 days ago #251337 by Mrsmackpaul
I had a couple of goes at typing out a reply but somehow managed to delete it

Anyway

Are you sure the pipe crossing from head to head at the back isn't leaking and this is the source of the mess on the rearmain

On my screamer the tube that has blower drive shaft in it is just held on with a couple of hose clamps and a bit of perished rubber hose

Could the diesel be leaking that way, in thru the tube and I reckon it can just run straight into the motor

Apart from that I reckon you have just about proved every other possible way

Yeah it has been hectic this Easter, so it's taken a few goes and few days to punch a reply out

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
1 month 2 days ago #251342 by prodrive
Thanks very much for the thoughtful and helpful replies, everyone. That has given us much food for thought.. we'll begin slowly checking all the things listed, and see what we can come up with, as well as replacing the injector pipes (jumpers?)  and pull off the fuel pump to check check too..and every other bloody washer and pipe just cos.   
Once again the forum is a fountain of information.....
Lang, I can only imagine what a Kenworth with an 871 in 1966 was like, it must have been just an amazing bit of gear, passing all and sundry up hill and down dale.. Someone told me that they reckoned they would have TOO much power, and they thought they would peel the tread from the drive tyres. Funny eh!
Anyway here's a pic of a younger Lang in his Hartridge days, pretty sure you posted this a few years back when I was looking for info on this oily smelly old girl..     
Have a good day all,
Cheers
Rich

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, asw120, wee-allis

Time to create page: 0.457 seconds