Skip to main content

Starter/Generator query

More
16 years 2 weeks ago #1412 by bparo
I had a starter generator rebuilt. I have put it back on, reconnected all the wires but it won't turn over when the starter button is pressed.

I have cleaned all terminals, replaced all the connectors where it looked like they were about to break off the wiring but still no result. I tried the 3 wires on the 2 different terminals but one of the wires only reaches one of the terminals so it has to be right.

I knew the battery was low so had attached a jump start pack(that is fully charged) and it made no difference. If I put two of the wires around one way i gget sparks between the red wire and the black wire that only reaches one terminal. If I put it on the other terminal there are no sparks but the it won;t turn over.

I cleaned all the battery terminals and will put the charger on it tomorrow and leave it for a day to see if that helps. Any other clues?

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

16 years 2 weeks ago #1413 by
Replied by on topic Re: Starter/Generator query
pbaro,

Don't know much about starter generators. And I guess a lot would depend on the brand and model.

I would guess assuming that it only has three wires going to it. That 2 would be + and -ve from battery. The other wire must be a control wire of some sort. Could be the control from the starter button.

The obvious question would be is there a solenoid pulling in or any noise at all when attempting start? (assume multi meter or test light) Do any of the wires produce any volts in reference to the earth of the vehicle either with or without the starter button? What make and model is this starter generator?

Sorry can't be more help. But like mentioned haven't had much to do with starter generators and would have to work my way through these types of questions as well as trace wires etc.

16 years 2 weeks ago #1414 by
Sorry to post so soon after last post.

Found interesting site which might shed some light on the situation. Might give you the clue you are after!

www.tpub.com/content/recoveryvehicles/TM...4240-501-14P_200.htm

Good luck and let us know how you Go.

More
16 years 2 weeks ago #1415 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Re: Starter/Generator query
Thanks jblair,

The guy who rebuilt the starter/generator has asked me to drop the whole tractor over to him as it can only be something simple so I will do that. Luckily it fits in a 6x4 trailer so moving it is fairly simple

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
16 years 2 weeks ago #1416 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Re: Starter/Generator query
Problem solved. The written instructions of which wire went where were wrong, once they were swapped to where they should be it started there was also a dodgy battery terminal which was providing power but not full strength. These were found by the mechanic friend that organised the rebuild. The Auto electrician wants to check out the regulator etc to make sure it is right and the generator is charging so It has been left at the workshop until the electrican has a chance to drop by (hopefully tomorrow) then it will be bring it home as a going concern and time to have another play, sorry, test session!

16 years 2 weeks ago #1417 by
Good news Bparo.

Bet you are looking for playing (oops testing) it again at home! Have fun. ;D

Time to create page: 0.440 seconds