Skip to main content

So what is this then?!

More
13 years 10 months ago #31464 by Dazza
So what is this then?! was created by Dazza

How you doing people? Hoping you can help us. I'm helping restore this truck (its not mine). The rego papers say its a '70 AT4 129, but since looking at other pics, it doesnt seem right? What do you guys think. I'm in the process of trying to find a poly 318 if anyone knows of any for sale. Thanks again. Darryl

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #31465 by kennymopar2
its obviously a AT4 ..most likely a 400 or 500 series ....(id guess a 500 series)

More
13 years 10 months ago #31466 by Dazza
Replied by Dazza on topic Re: So what is this then?!
Yeah I was thinking it was a 560 - have no idea how the rego papers got 129

More
13 years 10 months ago #31467 by Hardtopman
Swapped rego papers?? check the chassis/engine numbers that no one has done a dodgy on it.

More
13 years 10 months ago #31468 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Re: So what is this then?!
Dazza, what state???

Years ago when I was a young fulla...(I was once)... I did rego work at Mentone in Melbourne for a few years, the rules then were that there were very few rules and unless the rego officer knew his stuff he would accept what was written on the form by the owner or dealer.

We had an wonderful series of books on each make and model with all sorts of terrific data and occassional drawings supplied by the manufacturers.
It was likely back then that the numbers 129 appeared on something and the dumb ass (not trained for that job) officer would record them as a model or series or style or whatever. (I have sen manifold casting numbers such as 135624 used as engine numbers.... Firing order???)

I heard a while ago some or all of the books from one rego branch are in the hands of an organisation like HCVC and can be accessed, but dont know who/where.

Nice looking truck, good luck.

/me

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
13 years 10 months ago #31469 by Dazza
Hey guys, cheers for that. I'm in NZ.. crack up about the engine serial no. being used as a firing order (or vice versa)

The cab is away at the panel beaters being dealt to. I havent actually seen the truck in person - just the old deck and a few bits and pieces. I will get the owner to measure the wheelbase and check for any tags/plates etc. Never took much notice of these old trucks until now - I'm more into muscle cars (pontiacs), but these old trucks are pretty cool!!!

More
13 years 10 months ago - 13 years 10 months ago #31470 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Re: So what is this then?!

I heard a while ago some or all of the books from one rego branch are in the hands of an organisation like HCVC and can be accessed, but dont know who/where.

The information for Victoria is held by the Association of Motoring Clubs ( www.aomc.asn.au/ ). Their website has the application form, current fees etc.

It and the Federation of Veteran, Vintage and Classic Car Clubs (I think I got the name right) usually referred to as 'the Federation' represent the interests of people to Vicroads, governemtn etc as well as assist clubs with training opportunities, news etc.

The often do practical things as well eg the AOMC has encouraged the RACV to do some tests and produce a report on the use of modern fuels in old vehicles after people having problems with the combination.

They both had input to the changes to the Club Permit Scheme in Victoria to ensure the changes were workable for the hobby.

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
Last edit: 13 years 10 months ago by bparo.

More
13 years 10 months ago - 13 years 10 months ago #31471 by Beaver
Replied by Beaver on topic Re: So what is this then?!
In NSW the RTA computer is pre-programmed with a "drop down" list of makes and models which must be selected for inclusion on rego papers. They can't manually input other details.

If you have some obscure make or model, then it becomes "Hndmade" or "unknown", or the nearest equivalent the teller can find in the list.

I wonder if the 129 above is a wheelbase, which features prominenntly on some vehicle model codes.

Beaver@ Museum of Fire
Last edit: 13 years 10 months ago by Beaver.

More
13 years 10 months ago #31472 by Dazza
What i will do is get the owner to measure the wheelbase and have a look to see if there are any id plates anywhere. If I find out something I will let you know. Thanks heaps guys

Time to create page: 0.471 seconds