Skip to main content

Bedford 466 bus

More
13 years 6 months ago #36917 by bus-ted
Replied by bus-ted on topic Re: Bedford 466 bus
The info is great as the world of bus/trucks is new to me. Air drop after building pressure is around 1-1.5 bar per hour, is this reasonable?
Don't think the air system runs oil how do I check this? WIll get back to you on the make of the compressor.
Highway speed Kenny I think will be around 90km/h which is more than acceptable, although i still need to pack the family in and tow a trailer and car behind :o.
I'll keep the Isuzu in mind, problem would be getting someone to fit it for a reasonable price I imagine.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #36918 by kennymopar2
Replied by kennymopar2 on topic Re: Bedford 466 bus
personally id keep the bus standard and see how it does its first trip .. then go from there . . . id be seeing where your air leaks are so once sorted you dont have to wait for the pressure to build up .. since it still holds air reasonably well i wouldnt be to stressed
all the best with the beddy cheers ken

More
13 years 5 months ago #36919 by graham g
Replied by graham g on topic Re: Bedford 466 bus
Hi Evrybody
Graham here , well we were all set to pull engine down..
another mechanic came on board to have a look, to cut
loooooong story shorter , he said start er up , we did , and it was missing and sounded ,, rough , he cracked all the injectors .. back and forth ,,,then said turn er off!!
he said when he cracked no 3 it made no differance,
so it seemed the valves in 3 were wide open , and on compression , were pumping raw diesel out into exhaust
,, he loosened off no3 valves .. and off we went !!!
drove 25 ks ,,,,,,, no smoke out of exhaust ! went really well.. he adjusted valve setting when we got back
( gotta do em hot apparently) .. so cross everything ..
we are off to Toowoomba tomorrow , It looks like CHECK THE VALVE CLEARANCES , after head recon..
heres hoping we have nailed it.......
THanks to you all
Regards Graham

More
13 years 5 months ago #36920 by kennymopar2
Replied by kennymopar2 on topic Re: Bedford 466 bus
if you do have further probs with your cyl head

melbourne.gumtree.com.au/c-Cars-Vehicles...0-W0QQAdIdZ246681056

13 years 5 months ago #36921 by
Replied by on topic Re: Bedford 466 bus
Graham - Any mechanic who doesn't reset valve clearances after head reconditioning, doesn't rate highly enough in skill levels, to my mind, to be able to sweep a workshop floor .. :(

Glad to hear you've found the apparent problem. It's not one I would have even considered in the initial look-see .. :(

Cheers, Ron.

More
13 years 5 months ago #36922 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Bedford 466 bus
Valve clearences need to be done anytime you go near a head gasket, including retensioning a head. If the valves where open, no compression you would get diesel in the exhaust ports, if the inlet hasn't been opening, they will suck oil past the rings and out the exhaust port. Amazingly, it is one of the most simple tuning/maintenance adjustments to perform on a motor.

More
13 years 5 months ago #36923 by Colin
Replied by Colin on topic Re: Bedford 466 bus
Tappets are all set a .013 thou hot on 466
Must be set every time work is done on head.
Unbelievable??
Col

13 years 5 months ago - 13 years 5 months ago #36924 by
Replied by on topic Re: Bedford 466 bus
Few people realise how much better performance you can get from a motor .. even one that's still relatively new, with moderate kms .. by adjusting valve clearances.

Poor valve clearances affect performance considerably, and with modern engineering and manufacturers telling us we don't have to worry about any maintenance for tens and tens of thousands of kms, valve clearances get totally ignored. Back in the "good ole days", re-doing valve clearances was standard form around every 10,000 miles (16,000 kms). :)

Time to create page: 0.552 seconds