Skip to main content

truck radiators

More
15 years 8 months ago #3454 by JimmyDodge
truck radiators was created by JimmyDodge
Hi all, the radiator on my D5n is roo.... sorry, had it. Can anyone give me any tips, things to look for or avoid?
I haven't been to any radiator shops yet so I thought being forewarned is forearmed.
Also any idea of price I should pay? ,should I take a chair
to sit on ?
regards Harleigh. :o

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 years 8 months ago #3455 by Andy Wright
Replied by Andy Wright on topic Re: truck radiators
Harleigh

Do you know any truck club guys locally? They might be able to recommend a business that is old truck friendly i.e. cheaper.

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr

More
15 years 8 months ago #3456 by GM Diesel
Replied by GM Diesel on topic Re: truck radiators
Take a chair dude.
If it needs a recore it will be expensive. Just had my old mans D1810 rad done, it cost just short of a $1000.
Barry

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

More
15 years 8 months ago #3457 by Bono
Replied by Bono on topic Re: truck radiators
1000 bucks...would the same radiator be in a D1510 v345 ? its almost gone , I think I need to lie down.

More
15 years 8 months ago #3458 by kennymopar
Replied by kennymopar on topic Re: truck radiators
i remember the acco radiators were around $1500 new $1200+ for a recore..years ago i changed a 345(in a 1610a)to a 392V8..the dam thing never ran cool & i wasnt going to spend so much for a radiator so i just added another radiator(mounted it to where the top up bottle was

More
15 years 8 months ago #3459 by Inta ACCOs
Replied by Inta ACCOs on topic Re: truck radiators
Harleigh,

Good luck with the radiator, hope it doesn't leave a hole in your pocket!

Whilst we are on the topic I'm planning to put new hoses through my 79 Acco before summer and give it a good flush. What do I put back in, does it have to be a particular coolant or solution? It has a Perkins T6-3544. I would interested to know what anyone recommends.

Cheers,
Joe

More
15 years 8 months ago #3460 by huppypuppy
Replied by huppypuppy on topic Re: truck radiators
Joe,

My recommendation is a 60/40 blend of good quality monoethylene glycol coolant concentrate and rain water! By using rain water in the mix, the coolant will not get the hard minerals in that so-called town water that can ruin the liners, water pump impeller and thermostat! On the topic of the thermostat, it's always a very good idea to replace it as well if it hasn't been replaced in the last year! Use a genuine Perkins one and a genuine seal and she'll be apples!

Joe Hupp

More
15 years 8 months ago #3461 by Inta ACCOs
Replied by Inta ACCOs on topic Re: truck radiators
Thanks Joe,

This forum needs more Joes.

Cheers,
Joe

More
15 years 8 months ago #3462 by kennymopar
Replied by kennymopar on topic Re: truck radiators
on the original subject of a dodge radiator..the ford F series radiators are a similer fit & usually cheaper..but for a dodge fitted with a detroit maybe the core capacity isnt big enough (i retrofitted a f100 raditor to a dodge 400-318 V8 a few years ago)

More
15 years 8 months ago #3463 by podge66
Replied by podge66 on topic Re: truck radiators
The Dodge radiator will be the same core as the Inter with 160 Cummins and you will be around 1000-1200 for the core. The price of copper is up and so is the radiator prices. The cores are coming from New Zealand l was told the other day. Like all truck parts the price just gets higher and higher. The big thing is a bad radiator will cost you more if you cook the engine. l got a V8 Dline radiator but it is smaller than the Diesel. Shop around before you buy. A couple of hundred dollars is better off in your pocket. Podge.

Time to create page: 0.493 seconds