Skip to main content

Fitting a steel floor

More
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #41518 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Fitting a steel floor
You will need to put something inbetween the cross members if they are 630 centres. About 450 is about as far apart as you can go with a 3mm floof if you don't want the "oil can" effect. If you are putting that machine on it, with a 3 mm fllor, it will dip in between the crossmembers. 5mm checkerplate is what they use for a heavy duty floor, and is not uncommon, 3mm is light duty, for putting pallets on.
The U bolts holding the tray to the chassis havn't got packers inbetween the chassis rail to stop them distorting the bottom flange either. You probobly want to cut a bit of 50 x 50 RHS and stick it in there.
Ron, Greenie is right, Drake don't use checker plate, because bis80, or any other sort of Bisalloy only comes in flat sheets mate.
Last edit: 13 years 4 months ago by bigcam.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #41519 by Assessor
Replied by Assessor on topic Re: Fitting a steel floor
Ya wasting ya breath big-cam these blokes only wana talk about the way " they" reckon it should be done, they don't listen to the blokes that actually do it for a living, iam not sure these fellas realize that "cut and paste" only works on computers and you cant really weld a tray together with that technique, or gee i carted one on a trailer once and it didn't fall through the floor, " so i must no" ;)

[ think its the old case of] i had a dream i was an engineer, but i woke up an i was a "mudflap hanger"
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

"greenie is right about the checkerplate" too!!

Last edit: 13 years 4 months ago by Assessor.

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #41520 by scrubchomper
here is an update on the floor for the Benz. I went with wood after a friend who works at the local mill got it at trade price for me.

In the end I end up using 2inch x 4 inch x 6meter beams and 35mm planks

i know its over kill but the wood was on offer and cheap.
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by scrubchomper.

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #41521 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Fitting a steel floor
Good one mate, it would have taken more modifying than it was worth to put a steel floor in, and you've also managed to keep it looking like it was built.
Don't showing off those McGrath mudflaps too much, they are a bit of a rarity nowadays as well.
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by bigcam.

More
12 years 6 months ago #41522 by scrubchomper
On the orginal 1418 factor prime mover without the chassie been lengthen what length of tray could you fit?

Could I carry a machine which is 4m long and weight of 5.8t?

More
12 years 6 months ago #41523 by Chocs
Replied by Chocs on topic Re: Fitting a steel floor

On the orginal 1418 factor prime mover without the chassie been lengthen what length of tray could you fit?

Could I carry a machine which is 4m long and weight of 5.8t?

Weight:
It depends on what the tare weight of the vehicle is.
On a short wheelbase you may not be able to throw the weight correctly to the drive axle

Tray length:
Overhang must not exceed 60% of the wheel base or 3.7 metres, ( overhang measurement taken from centre of drive axle to the rearmost point of the tray)
(source VICROADS)

chocs 8-)

Time to create page: 0.505 seconds