Skip to main content

Restoration.. the long tail..

More
15 years 8 months ago - 15 years 8 months ago #3710 by duncan_m
Hey Folks!

Is it just me or does everyone else delude themselves about how much is left on a restoration.. as the completion of the restoration of my silver J3 Bedford draws near I keep remembering bits and pieces that still need doing.. things I've conveniently forgotten along the way..

I've got a list written on the shed wall and it seems each time I go out to do some work now I have to add a new item to it.. just little things like Door Knobs, a kickdown switch, reverse lights.. not big items.. A few weeks ago I thought I just had 3-4 things left to do.. in the last few days its grown to 11 items..

In any event, today I got the rear electrics sorted out, fabricated two wing mirrors and mounted some new bulb holders in the front parking light housings (which are now indicators given that I banished the fender mounted stalk indicators)..

Dunc.

Last edit: 15 years 8 months ago by duncan_m.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
15 years 8 months ago #3711 by Swishy
Dunc
Tiz a known fact
Th@ if it takes 90% of time to do project
the last 10% takes nuther 90% of time
Ifn U get my Drift

But
Eye
Do
St&
B
Corrected

LOL
:exclamation
:D

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

15 years 8 months ago #3712 by
Replied by on topic Re: Restoration.. the long tail..
I will swap my list for yours my is about 400 items and growing what about mateeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ;D ;D. Dave

More
15 years 8 months ago #3713 by kennymopar
a resto (or repair job) takes a lot longer than what youve planned for ..heres some examples..
my dodge AT4 just needs the inlet manifold to be bolted on to be drivable(its been waiting for the past 2 months)
...i just spent 5 weeks on my mercedes doing 50% of the work required to get the old girl up to scratch..the next 50% will probably take 5 months !
..................... but having said all that i was in a hurry to get my UD on the road(my work truck) i rebuilt the engine,sprayed the cab,made exhaust/inlet stacks,fitted a pantech body,wired up new lights etc all in less than 3 weeks

More
15 years 8 months ago #3714 by bparo
I allowed 6 weeks to rebuild a timber tray, 10 months later it was finished as removing the timber exposed dodgy wiring so I stripped that back and decided to paint the chassis - all outside or under a carport and I started in winter. It seemed like every time I had a good day a more urgent responsibility cropped up.

It is worth taking th etime to do it properley. it actually saves you time and hassles later

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

Time to create page: 0.454 seconds